and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Feelings

       Did you ever feel like something was left undone?  Today was not one of those days.  I managed to get ready in time to bike to church.  It only lightly sprinkled instead of pouring, the ride was warmer than I expected and the wind did not affect my ride.  Then I changed into better clothes and was able to get into the library a few minutes before my shift to open up.  It doesn’t flow much easier than that!

       So it was after I had greeted and hugged many people that I realized my feeling that all was well and running smoothly was groundless as I looked down and found my fly undone.  Moments after secretly solving my problem my fellow librarian pointed out that one of the buttons in the middle of my blouse was undone and then I noticed the bottom button was also undone.  Ah, so all did not work out as smoothly as I thought it did!  I guess we can’t really go by our feelings.

       Perhaps I feel you hate me because of something I said or did.  You might not even have noticed and therefore my feelings are based on my own false perceptions.  Maybe I feel that I did a great job but in actuality I missed some important details (incomplete information).  And how many spouses walk out on a marriage leaving the other spouse thinking, ‘I thought everything was fine…’  Again, our feelings can be based on our false perceptions at the time or lack of pertinent/ complete information. 

       Undone buttons and zippers are a minor embarrassment, but there are times our feelings (based on false perceptions or incomplete information) can devastate us.  At various times I have heard, “God must hate me because I can’t stop ______ing.”, “I am worthless”, “I just don’t feel God is here anymore.”, and “Nobody loves me.”  We base these kinds of feelings on our own faulty perceptions. 

       You see, even if all other people fail us, God never will.  Even when we can’t ‘see’ Him work in our lives, He is.  Even when we can’t feel Him near us, He is always present.  It is great to feel these things, but it is not necessary.  With our false perceptions based on inaccurate information, it is no wonder the Bible says the heart is deceitful above all. (Jer. 17:9)

No matter what you and I feel, these truths remain:
Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them (enemies), for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Dt. 31:6) NIV
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not also with him freely give us all things? (Rom. ,32) 
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.…Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence? (Ps. 139:2,3,7) NIV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)