and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

The Power of God’s Love

       It was early 1982 and I walked into the basement of my Catholic church on the main drag.  My aunt had gotten me involved in the Catholic Charasmatic movement and I found out a few charasmatics attending my church met in the basement there once a week for a meeting.  The first time I walked into the room, I knew it was different.  The room felt alive, the people ‘charged up’ and what I saw in their eyes blew me away.

       It was the love that seemed to be pouring out from their eyes that nearly knocked me off of my feet.  They welcomed me, expressed their love with smiles and hugs, and made me feel totally comfortable.  Though I can’t remember a single name, in my mind I can still see their beautiful faces.  We would worship, have a brief teaching, and pray.  Their love drew me to the Lord because I wanted what they had and for the first time in my life I felt loved.

       Let me tell you, if people do not see the love of Jesus Christ in your eyes toward them, they will not be drawn to what you have in Him.  For instance, I know a group of people who can’t understand why the downtrodden people living near their church don’t want Christ.  Could it be that the poor people are seeing disrespectful and condescending attitudes instead of the love of Jesus in the members’ eyes?  (I heard much said behind the scenes!)  Love from the Father is pure, genuine, and sees no distinction in status.  He doesn’t look on the outward man so neither should we. (1Sm. 16:7)

       It was not long after I began attending those meetings that I heard the complete gospel message and gave my heart and life to the Lord Jesus Christ.  That was over twenty years ago, and I can still ‘see’ the love in those charasmatics’ eyes when I picture them in my mind.  The power of God’s love is irresistible.  After all, isn’t love what most people truly desire in life?  We all want to belong and be/ feel loved.

To be more like the Father we must spend more time in intimate communion with Him so that maybe the world will see His love shining out of our eyes.