and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, December 02, 2011

A Short Dream

(This is my attempt to describe something almost indescribable, and I know it will fail in many ways because of man’s limited vocabulary and visual comparisons.) 

       I knew it was a dream so it didn’t bother me to be only a few inches from her face.  I can barely begin to describe the incredible, ethereal beauty I was observing in her face.  Gazing in her eyes, all I could see was light and life, perfection and wholeness.  Her amazing eyes were perfectly framed by long, intense lashes and I gazed away only long enough to notice the flawlessness of her skin, her features perfectly complementing each other, and even her hair was gleaming and exuded life.  I was irresistibly drawn to her beauty because it wasn’t just in her features but radiated out of her being.

       The picture of her face burned in my mind so much that when my brain awoke (too early) I refused to open my eyes or get out of bed because I didn’t want to let go of her magnificent face in my mind.  So, half an hour later I lay, still seeing her breathtaking flawlessness in my mind and wondering at the meaning of it.  Right from the start I knew the face I was observing was mine, and trust me, I have never seen my face look that good!

       I won’t bemoan my physical appearance, but suffice it to say that I went from feeling completely ugly as a teen, to okay in my twenties and finally accepting my personal beauty in my thirties.  It has taken many years (since one of my trials) for life to return to my eyes. (I actually wrote a post about that!)  The face I see in the mirror everyday certainly doesn’t come close to the one I was gazing on.  So my question to the Lord was: is this how You see me now, or is it how I will be in Heaven?

       Immediately I realized that God sees me physically just as I am, and just as I am is beautiful to Him already.  The dream was a glorious picture of what will be in a world without sickness and disease, without sin and shame, without pain and grief, where life abounds in perfection and indescribable beauty beyond our comprehension is typical.  It is the future He has prepared for those who love and obey Him… an eternal place where life abounds full of joy and peace unending …

for you…
     for me…


Oh Lord, precious Lord…
     what You have in store for us!