and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, December 05, 2011

Getting Old

       A few minutes ago I had to return a call to my Mom.  You would think it was a Laurel and Hardy routine as I tried verbally to figure out what she was saying and not saying.  Phone calls to her these days tend to be very frustrating now that she is in her late 70’s.  She is getting old, but then, so am I.  The other day my sister and I were talking about our physical maladies so much we sounded like a couple of seniors though I am 44 and she is in her 50’s.  It seems like a lot of middle aged people are feeling physically old these days.

       All things tend to get old and when they do, they wear out (like jeans), wear down (like a car) or go bad (like the green looking meat in the container in my fridge).  Sometimes we grow bored of movies we’ve seen too often or books we’ve read too much (can anyone say ‘The Cat in the Hat?’).    Yet there is one thing that NEVER gets old- the Word of God.

       Back when I was a child people found comfort in the scriptures.  We still find comfort in those same scriptures today- as did the people of God 4000 years ago right up until now.  How can words written so long ago have relevance and value in our lives today?  Because the words in
                                                                                      the Bible are unlike any other book out there.

For the word of God is quick (to live/ alive), and powerful (active), and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing (penetrating) even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb.  
All scripture is given by inspiration (divinely breathed) of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2Tim.  
(Jesus said) Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. Mat. 24:35 
… word, which is able to save (save/ deliver/ protect) your souls (spirit). Jas. 1:21

       If you want the abundant life that Jesus came to give, you’ve got to spend lots of time reading the living words in the Bible and getting to know the living (John 6:69) God of the Bible.  Then the living words will cut and divide, heal and restore and actively transform your life and mind. (Rom. 12:2; 2Cor. )  I’ll bet the authors, from Moses through to the apostles, never considered a young girl in 1983 being transformed by the words of the scriptures, but here I am a much different person than I was even in ’83.

The Lord has continually changed me through and by His living and powerful Word!

He can change you too!