and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Three Hairs Left; Don’t Give Up

       It was Feb. 2007.  As I sat talking to the nurse, she suggested that I get my hair cut off, shaved actually.  The chemo would make it fall out anyway and they found most people were more upset to watch it fall out than getting it shaved.  Occasionally I had cut my long hair because I wanted to, but I wasn’t about to cut it when it wasn’t my desire.  For me, it was important to keep any hair that remained as my ‘in your face’ to cancer.

       I remember clearly the week it started coming out in brush and handfuls.  I tried not to touch it too much in hope that some would remain.  The next Sunday morning as I stood at the back of the church before service, the pastor’s wife asked about my well being and then mentioned that my long hair hadn’t started falling out yet.  I said, “Actually, it has,” and ran my hand through my hair once to show her the handful that came out.  She just gasped as I shrugged and tossed it in the garbage.

       Within a short time, the top of my head was bald, except for three stubborn hairs that remained at the bottom back of my head.  (I wish I would have got a picture of them!)  It used to be funny when we were going out and I said, “Wait.  I have to go brush my hair, all three of them!” or “Will you please braid my hairs?- I still have enough!”  Eventually I lost most of my eyebrow hair and all my lashes.  I was finally able to stop plucking my uni-brow, but of course I still had to shave my legs!  Go figure… In spite of the treatment, those three hairs stayed firm in my scalp to shout out “I will not give in to you cancer!”

       Giving up can be easier than fighting back, but with two preteens and a loving husband, it wasn’t an option even when each treatment made my body feel worse.  With the help of my family and full support of my Lord, I made it through… and my three hairs stayed on my head until the rest of my hair had grown back about an inch, and then they decided to leave me L .

       Life is never easy, at least it’s never been for me, but we can’t give in or give up- God has a purpose for us on this earth- and nobody I know wants the devil to win.  So, here are a few scriptures to remember when times are tough.  And if it helps, you can remember my three hairs still falling down my back right through the chemo.  “In Your Face cancer!”




What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (Rom. )

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand. (Ps. 37:23,24) 

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness,… (2 Tim. 4:7,8) 

…for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Heb. 13:5)

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. (Ps. 139:17,18) 

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. (Josh. 1:9) 

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 8:37-39)

Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. (Ps. 55:22)