and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Whole Heart

This verse comes from the song The Stand by Hillsong. 

          So what could I say?
          And what could I do?
          But offer this heart, Oh God
          Completely to you

       Can anyone completely give their heart to God?  I have to ask myself that question still.  Yes, I say the words, and I mean them in the sense that I wish it were perfectly true, but my own selfish nature still exerts itself on this journey and sometimes I wrestle control back from the Lord- and that after over 25 years as His child!

       Let’s just think about the word completely.  Here are its synonyms: totally, entirely, fully, and wholly.  That means nothing is held back.  I don’t think there’s ever been a time like that in my life, not for any substantial period of time anyway.  Still, I wish it, cry for it, and pray constantly that my heart would be entirely His.

       Perhaps the difficulty lies not with my imperfection, but with my expectations of what I think it means to give my whole heart, compared to God’s expectations of what it means.  When it comes down to it, do I really know what all God’s expectations are for me concerning my whole heart?  Perhaps it’s not the perfect giving of our heart, but the constant offer of it?  Maybe the fact that we keep trying to give ourselves more completely is what matters.  I hope so.  Because here on earth in this flesh I have NO chance of being perfect in any way, but He is still working on me and I am very glad for that.