and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Peace

       Every morning I’d leave early for my morning jog or bike ride.  Every morning the neighbour’s dogs would start annoying me by barking and continue to wake up the rest of my family at the cottage.  It was the end of the first week before I was able to leave without their barking, but the more surprising thing was returning to quiet.  I went around to the lake side of the house, stretched, pulled off my shoes and socks, and laid out on my lounger to relax and enjoy the view.

       Peace overcame me as I watched the water softly lapping at the shore; I felt the warmth of the sun kiss my skin and the gentle breeze caress my shoulders.  Occasionally crickets chirped in my yard, and in the distance I could hear birds singing their peculiar songs.  I gazed out at the water enjoying the heat of the morning as it settled in.  It was so quiet I could hear the hum of a fly as it made its way across my position.  It was the perfect morning.

       The next morning I went out for exercise, those nasty dogs continued barking loudly once again destroying the peace… but isn’t that just like life?  We have occasional moments of peace in our lives amidst the trials and struggles of most days.  Peace can be elusive because we think it can only exist within ideal circumstances, but that is not so.

       Often we hear about peace in the context of 'world peace' and every nation and people getting along with other nations and people.  Our God of peace (Rom. ) didn’t come in the flesh to give us world peace, but rather to divide (Luke ) the righteous from the wicked.  Here are a couple scriptures:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have (hold, keep) peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (John   KJV)

       Notice Jesus gives peace to us, His believers (Ps. 29:11), not as the world gives which is temporary and conditional based on beliefs of the day and what is going on in our surroundings (there is no true peace for the wicked of the world*), but to us in our hearts (Php. 4:7).  In Him we can hold onto peace no matter what is going on around us- despite our tribulations, for Jesus has overcome the world!  What a great and precious promise! 




*Isa 59:8  (about the unrighteous) The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgment in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace.
Isa 57:21  There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.