and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

When Crackers Taste Wonderful

       Most of the time I try to live gluten free, especially since I realized my gluten intolerance and how my body (unfavourably) responds to it.  When I first found a tasty gluten free cracker (thanks sis), I was thrilled, finally able to eat crackers and cheese or peanut butter again.  Tonight I was reliving that first time enjoyment again.

       After our Easter family gathering yesterday I came home feeling sick.  I thought it was because I coughed up some acid and my throat burned a little but I had to down three ultra Tums to calm my stomach (I did eat lots of snacks) and then fell asleep for a couple hours.  My head hurt and I felt hot when I woke up so I went to lay down on the couch to avoid contaminating my hubby.

       Sleep did not come as I dwelt on disturbing thoughts.  My temperature was upper 101's and I still felt queasy.  Kept falling asleep most of the day running a low grade fever ( taking asprin only for pain) and able to eat only bits of certain foods.  Then tonight I felt like my body needed starch again, and those crackers called out to me.  Yum, it was just like the first time I tried them!

       Fevers are not wonderful to go through.  They make you uncomfortable- going between too hot and sweaty cool downs.  It is difficult to sleep, hard to eat, and pain often comes with the fever.  Still, fevers are actually good for us.  Their purpose is to kill off bad things (infections- viral, bacterial) in our bodies.  We often prefer to never go through uncomfortable, difficult things, but that doesn't mean those things aren't serving a good purpose.

       Many of the trials I've been through have built strength in me that I've never had before.  They've also caused my faith to increase- this only as I've accepted that which the Lord ordained for me to go through and as I've surrendered more to Him.  I guess one of the biggest changes in me from the trials is when another one hits I no longer moan and groan, whining to God but rather hang on to His robe, look around and see what He wants me to do in the midst of the storm.

Therefore I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am powerful. 1Cr. 12:10
Not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces (strength of) character, and character produces hope. Rm. 5:3,4 ISV

       It's all in the perspective.  Fever, good or bad?  Trials, good or bad?  And the Lord is still there to make those crackers taste great!  Thank You Lord for being so good!

Jehovah is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped... Ps. 28:7
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Php. 4:13
But the God of all grace, He calling us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little, He will perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 1Pt 5:10