and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

The Kindness of Strangers



       So busy, and I’m so tired, but this is better told while it is fresh, well, alive anyway, in my mind.  Yesterday I had to drive four hours out of town with my mom to go to the memorial for my in-laws dad when we knew and loved.  So we packed up and left around 2:30 pm and were about an hour out when I realized an unsettling thing.  I had forgotten the name of the place it was to be held.  For me it wasn’t as simple as contacting someone.

       Hubby was sleeping after midnights, sister was at job, other sisters long distance which I have no coverage for on my prepaid, and worst of all, I was with my mom who overly stresses about stuff like that.  So instead of telling her I mulled it over for the next hour figuring out who to text that could get back to me quickly- no one.

       Okay wifi would work since I was on the highway and there are service stations and I could retrieve the information from my gmail- nope, don’t have any device to use with wifi.  Perhaps I could beg one of the managers to let me use their computer- blech, didn’t like that choice.  The only option I felt I had was asking around to see if someone would allow me to use their device.

       My mom wondered why we were stopping.  I had to tell her so I braced for the worst.  Instead of negativity, all I got was a lack of technological understanding- they have wifi so you can find out, right?  There weren’t too many in the station, but there was a foreign looking older man on a computer.  I was concerned about communication and the fact he looked like he was working.  Then, just sitting down, another man pulled out a computer.

       I calmly walked over and said, “Hi, I know I’m a stranger and all, but I’m in a bit of a fix.  My mom and I are going to a funeral and I left the place and address at home.  Would you allow me to access my gmail from your computer?”  It took him a few minutes to figure out how to sign out of gmail so I could go in.

Do not withhold good...
       When I checked my account the two emails pertaining to the memorial place and time were missing.  I knew I didn’t delete them, move them or put them in different tabs.  I checked my server’s web mail to no effect.  I expressed my disappointment and Mike asked why I didn’t call.  I told him the issue with my phone.  He let me use his phone and probably his minutes.  Then he found the place on an online map.  A total stranger… yet so kind.  (Thank you Mike!)  It reminded me of two verses of Scripture:

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do it. Pr. 3:27
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. Jm. 4:17 ESV