and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Call It As It Is… According to the Bible



       I have a problem.  I do not like to admit I am wrong.  Mind you, I will do so if I am wrong, but if I believe I’m not wrong, I can’t say that I am because that would be lying, and I hate lying, falsehood, deception, etc.  Never could tell my kids less than the truth even about Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc, and when I had cancer, despite the fact they were only ten, I had to tell them the danger of my surgery because I couldn’t promise them I’d survive when it’s impossible to know for sure.  Instead, I told them the likelihood of survival.

Some sins we justify... there are many we don't consider sins.
       Do I sin?  Yep.  Everyday.  Sorry for those of you who think I’m perfect… :P but I’m not.  I sin.  I get angry and it isn’t always for unrighteousness.  Sometimes I don’t do what God tells me to do.  There are times I still swear.  It doesn’t bother me to say sin is sin, even if it is in me.  But have you ever noticed we have changed the acceptance of sin as sin?

       We aren’t breaking the law, we are just ‘going with the traffic’ or ‘within acceptable limits’ over to not incur a ticket.  We aren’t oppressing people, we are ‘asserting our authority’ in a controlling way.  We aren’t lying, we are ‘protecting people’s right to privacy’ when we just want to hide the naked truth.  THIS IS THE WORLD SYSTEM! 

       When the church accepts the world’s way of speaking, thinking, believing, dealing with things, it is not good.  The Bible is our ultimate source of truth and we should live according to the teachings in it.  Sin is sin no matter the reason, and attempting to justify it for any reason, or call it by a different name will not make it less a sin.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us. 1Jh. 1:8-10
Abstain from every appearance of evil. 1Th. 5:22

        If there is a relationship problem between two people it is highly unlikely there is no sin on one of the two.  But wait you say, he committed adultery.  True but perhaps you failed to meet his needs, love as you ought, etc.  Got let go at work- tell people you were downsized but neglect to admit you were caught ‘borrowing’ supplies from work.

       The problem with not calling sin a sin is that we deceive ourselves.  We can only find forgiveness when we confess, to the Lord (and others).  If we act like we’ve not sinned by using other terminology, we make Him a liar and His Word is not in us.  And Jesus is the Word.  If He is not in us, we are not saved.

Be careful not to live like the world!

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind... Rm. 12:2
Beware lest anyone rob you through philosophy and vain deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ. Cl. 2:8
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Ep. 5:11