and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Get a Little Closer…

       There was a time when I was interested in dating Albert (now my hubby).  Back then I would try to spend as much time with him in amongst the friends.  Often I would physically get closer to hear him, to speak with him, and to ‘accidentally’ touch him.  It felt good/ exciting to be close to him and as I did so, we became better friends.  Eventually we began to date, got engaged and married.  It is now 25+ years later.

       God isn’t just interested in our service, worship and talents, but He actually wants to be more intimate (close, dear, cherished, personal) with us.  There is a reason Adam and Eve didn’t flip out when God came to walk with them in the garden.  It’s because they were used to walking with Him.  He wanted to be with them so He spent time with them face to face!

       God continued to try to get through what He really wanted from people.  He wants us to know Him and draw near to Him.  These are most important for when we truly know Him we will WANT to follow Him, be like Him in every way possible, and love Him more- proven by putting Him first, loving others and using the gifts He’s given us. 

    that I may know Him… Php. 3:10
everyone who loves has been born of God, and knows God. 1Jh. 4:7
So says Jehovah, Do not let the wise glory in his wisdom, nor let the mighty glory in his might; do not let the rich glory in his riches; but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me… Jr. 9:23,24
 
       That we may know Him… understand Him…  Just like with Albert when I kept trying to get closer to hear him better, speak with him and get close enough to ‘touch’, the Lord wants us to draw near to Him, and we should want to do this.  If we don’t, we should question our Christianity.  We should be crying out like Job, “Oh, that I knew where I might find him, that I might come even to his seat!(23:3)

Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners; and purify your hearts, double-minded ones. Jm.. 4:8 
    (not this- which incurred judgment) this people draw near me with their mouth, and with
    their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me… Is. 29:13

       Draw near means to bring near or join one thing to another, to approach.  (using analysis of verbs) The subjects (plural- you) are entreated or commanded to draw near, cleanse and purify as an act of our own volition/ choice. As a result the Lord states what He will do, what will be as a fact or certainty.  Isn’t that awesome?

If you seek Him, He will be found by you. 
1Ch. 28:9