and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, March 06, 2015

On Her Own

       Our last child has embarked on her solo life.  I can’t say much since she has graduated college and has been working full time for over a year.  Besides, as I watched her grow up I noticed the same independent streak that was in her birth mother was in her.  Sometimes I wanted her to stay my little girl, but other days I wanted her to move on so that constant struggle over everything would end.


       One thing I wish along with many other parents is that our children would listen to the wisdom we have on various topics of life.  We only want what’s best for them, and so we try to hint or advise but it seems to land on deaf ears.  So we watch after our kids get into one mess after another, hoping and praying they will see the light and choose a better path.  As for my daughter, I think she must have developed a taste for Frank Sinatra and his song “I Did It My Way”.  (Curiously I just noticed the first 3 letters of his last name…)

       I know the pain and frustration she is headed for, but cannot stop it because she is old enough and she has to suffer the consequences of her own choices.  Hopefully, she will learn quickly, but there are many things I have taken years to learn…  Anyway, she wants to do it her way, on her own, without the advice of experienced adults because her close friends and society know much better.  They have the wisdom that works…

       It gets very frustrating as a parent who sees the truth but cannot stop the train.  At what point do we totally give up trying?  At what point does our heart stop hurting for them?  When do we just not care anymore?  NEVER!!!  We never give up because they are ours and we love them more than life, even when we are angry with them.

       To be honest, I can’t say that I’m all that dissimilar to my daughter.  That same stubborn streak to do things my own way has interfered with the relationship I have with my Heavenly Father for years.  ‘I know best,’ ‘I don’t need Your opinion or advice,’ My way is better,’ ‘I want to control my own life,’ ‘I’ll do it my way!’  None of these things were ever expressly stated to Him, but they were always there in my actions: prayer towards the ends I desired, choosing my own path and crying to Him when it didn’t work out, believing my own wisdom was good enough, often not asking Him first, etc.

Lord, help me to continue changing and giving over all to You.

There are many purposes in a man's heart, but the counsel of Jehovah shall stand. Pr. 19:21
"This is what the LORD says, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you how to succeed, who directs you in the path by which you should go. Is. 48:17 ISV

The Lord has never given up on me…

He’s never stopped caring…

for I am His and He still loves me…

       even those times He chastises me.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten; therefore be zealous and repent. Rv. 3:19

"My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and He scourges every son whom He receives." Hb. 12:5,6