and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Do you want to understand?


       Personally, I have always wanted to understand everything in the Bible; after all, it is through the Word that we know the Father, Son and Spirit.  Of course I do my best to learn what I can with the help of the Spirit (1Jh. 2:27; Jh. 14:26; 1Cr. 2:9-13), but I don’t think I’ll understand it all until I walk with the Lord in the end.  Still, I will continue to make every effort…

As you read the Scripture below, ask these questions:
     -What two groups of are with Jesus?
     -What is their proximity to Jesus?
     -What is given to them?
     -Who is not given ‘it’ to understand?

When he (Jesus) was alone* with the Twelve and those around* him, they began to ask him about the parables. He told them, "The secret* about the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside, everything comes in parables so that 'they may see clearly but not perceive, and they may hear clearly but not understand, otherwise they might turn around and be forgiven.'"  Mr. 4:10-12 ISV  
*G2651-katamonas- apart, alone  *G4012-peri- around, near   *G3466- musterion- hidden, secret, mystery

       Isn’t it interesting that Jesus is speaking not only to the 12 ‘apostles’ but to the other disciples that have drawn near.  Those who long to understand draw near to the Savior in order to hear Him better and be closer to Him.  They stick around Him, never straying far away lest they miss something important.  It is to those who draw near and stay around Him that Jesus gives them the ‘secret about the kingdom of God’ which is not the emphasis of this post.  But it does make me want to know: if I draw closer and stick around Him, can I learn more ‘secrets of the kingdom’ too?

       All this calls into question a few things in my own life.  Do I draw nearer to Jesus every day in prayer, in the Word and spend time in His presence at home -not just at church on Sunday?  Do I actually stick around Jesus all day every day or do I allow troubles, worries, my desires and worldly interests: money, relationships, success, status, things, etc. increase the space between us?  Are there things I do, think or say that I would be embarrassed for Him to know?  Am I REALLY making good effort to know Him…

       And let us not forget those who are not given ‘the secret’.  Those on the outside who choose not to draw near or stick around Jesus.  (Hopefully it is not due to the lack of our own enthusiasm for Christ!)  Doesn’t that explain (somewhat) why people in the world do not want to listen to us speak about Jesus.  They don’t perceive or understand His Word thus it is all nonsense to them.  How can they begin to know what we, ourselves are unwilling to push for?

Perhaps we should question ourselves.

       Do I hear God speak and if not, could it be because I don’t draw near to Him enough?  Do I think hearing and understanding is only for special people in ministry or do I understand that I can be one of ‘those around Him’?  Do I turn away from those things which keep me from sticking with Him or do they continue to keep me from His side and listening to Him?

Then Jesus spoke again to them, saying, I am the Light of the world. He who follows* Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. Jh. 8:12
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow* Me. Jh. 10:27
If anyone serves Me, let him follow* Me; and where I am, there also My servant shall be. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. Jh. 12:26 
*G190-akoloutheo- to follow behind, to accompany, be His disciple