and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, May 05, 2014

Scary…

       Last year the Lord asked me to stretch myself much farther than I’d ever done before.  I was to go speak a word from the Lord to the pastors at my church.  Usually if He wants to say something to someone through me He tells me beforehand and I write it down or at least generally know what He wants to say.  This time I had nothing.  Not a word.  Scary…


       It stayed scary right up until I left the house that morning.  Then the Spirit filled me and His peace settled in.  I gave the word to the available pastors, taping it for the rest.  At the end the pastors said, “We receive that word,” and I thought, awesome.  As I was driving away the Lord asked if it was necessary for them to receive the word or if it just mattered that I did what He wanted me to no matter the outcome.  It was then He quickly reminded me of all the words given by God’s servants of old that were rejected, ignored, not accepted, not heeded, and yet they chose to obey God.

       No, I’m not saying I’m some great servant of God, but I am saying that it was my obedience even in the midst of doubt and some fear that pleased Him.  Obedience needed to be my focus, not concern for the outcome- what the pastors thought.  Whether or not they received it was between God and them (but was still a little scary for me).

For our exhortation to you was not of error, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile, but as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God, who tries our hearts. For neither at any time did we use flattering words, as you know, nor with pretense of covetousness; God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from men… 1Th. 2:3-6
For now do I persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Gl. 1:10

       As I was reading these verses a few thing popped out to me.  The apostles (servants of God too) exhorted without deceit or delusion, nor in impure or immoral state, nor trying to trick or deceive.  What they spoke was not to please men but God who knows even the intentions of our hearts.  They didn’t flatter the listeners to achieve more disciples, more status, a bigger following or under a hidden desire to gain more money.  They didn’t try to raise their reputation or other’s opinions of them.  In other words, they tried to please God and not man.

       It shouldn’t concern us what man thinks of what we say and do, but we should very much care what God thinks of what we say and do.  He is the Judge.  He is the one who decides where our eternity will be.  He knows every little thing about us even why we do what we do.

That should be a little scary to us!