and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

I Owe, I Owe, …

       No human parent is perfect and mine weren’t any exception.  Some of the things I learned from mine were good, but others were bad.  One of the good things I learned from a bad habit of my Dad was to be careful with the finances.  He made some poor investments and as a result, our family struggled.  Gratefully, Mom knew how to keep us fed and got us the other things we needed even if we didn’t have many wants.  Of course, our two oldest siblings helped a lot.

       As a result of this history, I am frugal.  I am also very careful to pay back everything I owe.  Even when I was young I would feel extremely uncomfortable if I owed someone money (even a nickel) and couldn’t get it back right away.  That feeling of not clearing that debt would trouble me until it was repaid which meant it happened asap.  Fast forward to a few years after I was married and hubby and I loaned a friend money for a vital need.  We told him it was no rush getting it back, but when week after week he couldn’t pay us, a strange thing happened.  He distanced himself from our friendship and soon we never heard from him.

Sin's debt crushing us to death
       Albert said it happened that way occasionally when he helped people and it was because they became embarrassed that they couldn’t pay him back.  It made sense to me because I would be embarrassed too.  Eventually the man either got the money and paid us back or we forgave the debt and the friendship was renewed again, but it was never the same.  On our side there was always that memory, “He ignored us over something as inconsequential as cash…” so we didn’t loan him money any more (gifts were okay) because the friendship was far more important to us than money.

       As I was thinking of this history I thought about the debt I can NEVER repay- my debt to the Savior for dying for my sins.  Born in sin, sinning still (though I wish it not so) He died for me.  If I did good works all of my days and nights, filling my time with only good, it can never be worth a human life let alone the sinless (2Cr. 5:21) life of my God and Savior.  But He paid my debt, not so I could owe Him, but to develop a friendship, a relationship with me.  I don’t do good works to pay Him back, but to be like Him and most importantly, to be His light in this world so that others may come to know Him through me.  I want them to know life through Jesus Christ- the new life He has given to me.

We are sinners:
Therefore, even as through one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed on all men inasmuch as all sinned: Rm. 5:12
But we are all as the unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as a menstruation cloth… Is. 64:6
for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, Rm. 3:23
Against You, You only (God), have I sinned, and done evil in Your sight; Ps. 51:4
But your iniquities have come between you and your God… Is. 59:2
But according to your hardness and your impenitent heart, do you treasure up wrath for yourself in a day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, Rm. 2:5

The penalty of our sin is death:
For the wages of sin is death… Rm. 6:23
And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire. Rv. 20:15


Our Savior paid the price for our sin:
Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures; 1Cr. 15:4
He said, It is finished! And He bowed His head and gave up the spirit. Jh. 19:30
knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, silver or gold,but with the precious blood of Christ,1Pt. 1:18,19
without shedding of blood is no remission. Hb. 9:22
By this will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Hb. 10:10


For by grace you are saved through faith,
and that not of yourselves,
it is the gift of God,
Ep. 2:8