and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

I am not Peter

Not really me cause I
wouldn't wear heels!
       I am Vicky.  When I was young I was VERY shy, often never even saying hi to people I’d known for years.  I kind of thought God made a mistake with me because I wasn’t like the other girls.  I didn’t care about clothes, hair, makeup, decorated bedrooms, shoes, shopping and such.  I didn’t want to cook, sew, talk about boys all the time, giggle over stupid stuff or do any other girlie things.  But I did like getting dirty, fixing things and riding my bike so I wondered if maybe I should have been a boy.

       Eventually I got saved and it changed my life completely.  I came out of my shell and began speaking to people even talking too much sometimes, but I still hate/d all those girlie things.  The reason I don’t like getting together with women is the conversation often goes to girlie topics, “Oh, I just bought the perfect throw to match the accent colours in the couch…” (eyes rolling back, snoring).  I’m sure they’d do the same if I started talking about changing the oil in the new car for the first time and finding out the last person to do it tightened the oil filter on too tight and I had to crush the thing to get it off, oil spewing all over my hands…”.  Yep, don’t think they’d like that.

       It’s okay though.  I don’t mind being different and I like me.  I like being a girl.  I can get away with crying when I want.  I can get hugs easier.  And I’m so okay being different because God made me who I am, He wanted me this way, and He loves me this way.  I just need to be the best ME I can be and not worry about who I’m not.

       So this morning when the pastor was speaking about Peter getting out of the boat onto the water I was thinking how I would have stayed in the boat.  Eventually Jesus would have gotten in and since I don’t enjoy risk, I probably wouldn’t have got out.  Then again, none of the others did either.  Did that make them less spiritual or less loving toward Jesus?  No, it just wasn’t them.

       I’m not Peter: rash, impulsive, zealous, a risk taker (those aren’t all bad).  It’s no wonder he asked and then jumped out of the boat when Jesus said ‘come’ (Mt. 14:29).  It wouldn’t have crossed my mind to ask.  As for me, I prefer staying in the boat unless the Lord says ‘come’.  I might be okay with who I am, but I believe the Lord continues to transform us into the people He needs us to be for His kingdom. 

But we all, with our face having been unveiled, having beheld the glory of the Lord as in a mirror, are being changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Lord Spirit. 2Cr. 3:18
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God.  Rm. 12:2

12 men- all different...

       Little by little the Lord has been increasing boldness in me.  Now I am more of a risk taker.  These days there is a small but growing part of me that gets out in the waves and enjoys it.  It doesn’t make me more or less spiritual or mean I have more or less faith or loving toward Jesus.  It just makes me me, the me Jesus is making me to be- the one He wants to use for His kingdom.  I am not Peter.  You are not Peter.  There was only one apostle Peter.  Jesus only needed one.

But He also needs one me.

     And one you!


For You have possessed my inward parts; You have covered me in my mother's womb.
I will praise You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are marvelous and my soul knows it very well.
Ps. 139:13,14