and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

It was a long, COLD, harsh winter

       Temperatures were colder than normal, staying that low for longer, and we reached record amounts of snow in this area over the winter.  Now, when I was growing up here, the snow used to go high enough to make tunnels under it to play in, but I don’t remember that extreme cold.  And now that I’m older and own a house, there is the shoveling of the driveway that makes you reconsider that 400+ ft U shaped driveway around the house.

       It isn’t the extremeness of the weather that was terrible (to me anyway), but the length of time we had to endure it.  It seemed to go on forever without breaks: frigid cold, dreary skies, snow dump, repeat again and again, day after day...  Finally, it subsided and for the past few weeks we have achieved normal temperatures- with blue skies!  I almost forgot what that was like.

       In our Christian walk it seems like we hit times of ‘walking in the wilderness’ or ‘living in the cold dreariness’.  A few days of it would be unpleasant, and survivable, but when the time drags on day after day, that is when it becomes difficult.  We start out strong but feel ourselves weakening little by little when the harshness never seems to end.  Why is that?

My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all the day, Where is your God? Ps. 42:3
Deep calls to deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and Your billows have gone over me. (v.7)
I will say to God my rock, Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the cruelty of the enemy? (v.9)
As with a sword in my bones, my enemies shame me; while they say daily to me, Where is your God? (v.10)
 
       The author here, probably David, was going through a harsh time in his life.  Sadness, doubt, in deep with endless afflictions like waterfalls/ waves were washing over him, feeling forgotten by God, mourning, torment and shame besetting him, a believer in the Almighty God.  It seemed to never end.  Why was God allowing this in his life?  Why was He not rescuing His servant from these long, harsh times?  Why didn’t He rescue me?

I’m thinking, He wanted me to learn/ develop something:
patient endurance*-
And not only so, but we glory also in afflictions, knowing that affliction works out patience*, Rm. 5:3 LITV
trust-
Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. Pr. 3:5
who we are-
I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am powerful. (in Him) 2Cr. 12:10
who He is-
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Ps. 46:1
what He does-
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned; nor shall the flame kindle on you. For I am Jehovah your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior… Is. 43:2,3
character-
and patience works out proven character; and proven character, hope. Rm. 5:4 LITV

Dn. 3:25- God walks in fire with three faithful followers

       When we walk through the dry wilderness or the cold dreariness of life and it goes on too long; when we feel like giving up, that’s when we’ve got to hold on tight, even if it’s at the end of our rope and let Jesus grab hold of us.  We need to throw ourselves on His mercy and actively choose to trust Him no matter how bad it looks or how long it goes on.  We may be weak but He is surely strong.  His strength and His presence in our lives (whether we feel His presence or not) will get us through when we trust in Him and continue to move forward step by step.  His Word certainly helps…


You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Is. 41:9,10

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why do you moan within me? Hope in God; for I still praise Him, the salvation of my face, and my God. Ps. 42:11