and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Hard Journey

       At fourteen years of age I began riding my bike to the other side of the county; a scenic 140 km round trip ride.  It was about my third journey on my normal route to the closest National Park when I experienced bad weather ½ way back home.  The wind shifted to become a very strong head wind.  I did not feel I could make it home without help so I called my Dad on the closest pay phone and he said something like, “You got yourself that far and you decided to make the trip, so you’ll just have to get yourself home.” 

       Every push of the petal was difficult.  Every meter achieved left my muscles straining.  I didn’t think I could do it.  What I had to focus on was a spot close in front of me and tell my tired, aching body, ‘Just one more meter.’  It was slow going and the lactic acid was rampant in my legs, but there was no way left for me to get home but to push on.  Meters turned to kilometers which ran through communities and eventually I rode into my own town.  Past exhaustion but with the closeness of home and the chance to stop riding, I focused on the goal.  ‘Just a little longer and I can rest for a while…’

       Looking back, it was shear force of will that got me back home.  Every push forward was tough and though I didn’t want to go through the difficulty and pain, I knew it had to be done.  This was a small thing.  Sometimes I think of Jesus’ life and wonder how He did it- right from the start of His mortal human life to the end of it.

I gave my back to those who strike, and my cheeks to those who pull out the beard; I hid not my face from disgrace and spitting. For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed. Is. 50:6,7

       Flint is a rock, a durable, hard rock we know that can be used to start fires.  In this Messianic passage it indicates Jesus set His face like flint (rock) to do the things He needed to do.  Now, in my mind that was day one from giving up His home in Heaven to live as a subjected, helpless, fragile, having to relearn everything baby, through a hard working childhood into common manual labour as a man who unable to just do what He probably wanted to- preach the good news.  But He had to wait until the right time.

       In ministry Jesus had to endure the taunts of family and friends who didn’t believe in His calling or who He was, and the rejection of whole communities.  And it just had to be frustrating working closely with friends that didn’t ‘get it’ or get You either- for three years!  All of this would have taken strong determination- focus on the end goal.  Jesus knew the end goal- His death and resurrection.  Did it make it easy for Him to endure those final days?  I say no.  It compelled Him forward every step of the way, but the walk to His death was hard, painful, humiliating, and
                                                                     torturous.

       He probably kept His mind on the goal of man’s salvation just to get through each step, through each beating, whipping, each nail...  In His last days He probably reminded Himself frequently, “I’m almost home, and then I can rest for a while.”  God in Heaven to ‘God with us’ human life on earth to God in Heaven once again.  That middle section a hard journey for anyone, let alone the Son of God.  But He set His face like flint and gave us grace to restore us unto our Father.
 


looking to Jesus
the Author and Finisher of our faith,
who for the joy that was set before Him
endured the cross,
despising the shame,
and sat down at the right of the throne of God.
Hb. 12:2