and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Amazing Grace

       I’ve sung this song for years.  Been going to church most of my life, but I also sing it on my own.  Its verses have clear meaning to me.  John Newton published this song in 1779.  His past was one of rebellion, profanity, abuse as a servant, slave trading, and near death on more than one occasion.  I’m sure he was filled with a lot of regret for some of his past actions after he became a Christian, just as many of us are.

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

       It was a few years ago standing at a funeral in a Catholic Church that I raised my voice to sing this great hymn and discovered they had changed one simple word that only served to anger me: wretch* became soul.  Why?  Because of our feel good, fear of damaging self esteem, positive thinking only world?  Isn’t it true that we are wicked sinners before we are born again?  In fact, we are still sinners after we become Christians only Jesus’ righteousness is imputed to us.

       I still do not understand the need to forget our past in the sense that we should remember where God has brought us from.  Sure, it is good to not dwell (reside, stay, inhabit, settle) in our past, for this may hold us back from reaching forward to God’s will for us.  But we need to remember where we once were so that we also remember from where God has brought us.  Wicked sinner- redeemed sinner.


Should we forget?
And Jesus said to him, No one, having put his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. Lk. 9:62 (in context of people who have excuses for not following Jesus)
 (Paul) …but one thing I do, forgetting the things behind and reaching forward to the things before, Php. 3:13 (forgetting past shame and accomplishments both which may hold you back from reaching the high calling of God v.5,6)

We should remember
you shall be on guard lest you forget Jehovah who brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slaves. Dt. 6:12 (slave to sin Jh. 8:37)
Remember His marvelous works which He has done… Ps. 105:5
Give thanks to Jehovah, call on His name, make known His deeds among the people. 1Ch. 16:8
Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent… Rv. 2:5

       Yes, I was a wretch.  Yes, sometimes I still behave like a wretch.  I have no problem singing “that saved a wretch like me” for that is what God did- He saved me from my sin, my sins, my shame, my own wicked heart and the wicked life I lived.  He saved me from myself.  He redeemed my life from the kingdom of the enemy to His own kingdom.  Now I am His.  His child.  I did nothing to deserve it, but His salvation was freely given.  Given to this wretch.


I am forever grateful Oh Lord!



*Webster’s 1828 dictionary
   -a miserable person in deep distress
   -worthless and contemptible person
   -a person sunk in vice, shameless wickedness