and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

God’s not Dead

       A good friend and I finally got to see the movie.  In it, a professor and a student have a conflict over the existence of God.  I think it was a good movie for certain things, and other things could have used improving, but the basic message to me is that Christians should be able to stand up for God no matter where they are- after all, we are still in a free country, right?

       Personally I would not even try to go up against any ‘intellectual’ types concerning God.  I can’t even read Christian apologetic blogs without it going over my head.  Also much of the ‘higher scientific’ things far surpass my thinking.  Having said that, if God told me to debate or such I’d trust Him to help and go for it.  Hopefully it will never come to that because I’d rather just speak as the apostles did: Jesus Christ and Him crucified (Acts).

because I will give you the ability to speak, and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to refute or oppose. Lk. 21:15 (Mixed versions by me)


       What is the point in the movie?  Don’t let others, Christians, atheists or people of any other beliefs prevent us from following God’s will- to spread His Good News.  Wherever we are, we should acknowledge our God openly, what we believe and act according to those beliefs.  We should not hide our light under a bushel (Mt. 5:15).  As for debating these wise scholars or intellectuals, I don’t think it is necessary for two reasons.  They can’t understand what the Spirit of God has not revealed to them and they don’t have His Spirit because they aren’t saved.  Also, the enemy may try to rob you through ‘higher learning’ which might create unnecessary problems.

For the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those being lost, but to us being saved, it is the power of God. 1Cr. 1:18
Beware lest anyone rob (carry off, lead away from the truth) you through philosophy (love of wisdom esp. in science or other branches of knowledge) and vain (empty, devoid of truth) deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the (basic) elements of the world, and not according to Christ. Cl 2:8
 
       God’s not dead.  In fact, God is life and all life comes from Him.  “For as the Father has (holds) life in Himself, so He has given to the Son to have life within Himself,(Jh. 5:26).  “…I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life…” (Jh. 14:6).  Personally, I have never experienced life the same since I surrendered as much of myself as possible.  Where I used to be ‘dead’ even as a Christian, just surviving, getting by day after day, now I love life (Jh. 10:10 abundant life) and like to encourage others in it.  So God is alive in the world… and His Spirit's alive in me.

Is He alive in you too?