and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Fear at the Hoodoos

        Yesterday I went to a woman’s meeting and the speaker did a great job speaking about fear and what to do about it.  At the tables we discussed times in our own lives when we had to face fears.  I’ve had many, but one of the worst in which I felt in extreme, imminent physical danger was in 1989 when Albert and I went to the Canadian Rockies.

       We were walking along the established trail to the Hoodoos when my husband noticed an unmarked trail over the railing.  He convinced me to go onto this other trail which looked reasonably safe at the time.  I should have known better as Albert had once taken a photo looking down the Grand Canyon with his feet literally half over the canyon wall- no railing!  Anyway, we started down this trail which continued to become narrower until it basically disappeared.  By then, our feet were sliding on the small rocks that made up the sides of the hill.

       I looked down.  It was a loooooong way down!  There was nothing to catch our fall.  I looked up.  It was a loooooong way up and seemed to be about an 80% incline with loose gravel.  Fear and panic consumed me and I froze.  I was sure if I moved I would plummet down the mountain never to be seen again.  Albert tried to get me to turn around and that seemed to take forever. 

       At some point, I remember yelling and crying that I couldn’t do it when I heard people from up on the trail cheering me on, saying, “You can do it.  Keep going!”  Albert kept telling I could do it and sometimes I was brave enough to take his hand and move a greater distance ahead.  Eventually, it was him staying in front of me holding out his hand reminding me to keep looking at him and inch forward that helped me along.  Bit by bit we worked our way back up and the relief was incredible.  I did not think I would survive, but I did.

       In my life’s journey, I have also been in dark places of great fear, even for my life.  In many of those times I lost focus on the Lord, only seeing the potential disaster around me, and I couldn’t hear the voices of family and friends cheering me on.  Those were difficult times.  But when I’d eventually regain my focus on the Lord and His goodness, when I’d bypass my fear and take hold of His hand, and when I’d look only at Him (not up or down at the mountain) and move forward no matter the size of the step, it was those times I made the best progress.

For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death. Ps. 48:14
let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God. Hb. 12:1,2
        looking- aphorao- to turn the eyes away from other things and fix them on something
        author- archegos- one who takes the lead
        finisher- teleiotes- completer, perfector- by own example

       So I have learned to fixed my eyes on Jesus to get me through the tough times of life, and I now know He is with me all the way (Is. 43:2) as I walk on this journey.  He doesn’t leave me or fail to be here for me (Dt. 31:8).  He faithfully (1Cr. 1:9) leads me on the treacherous ground to the path He wants me to walk on.  And there, in the safety of His arms, I am able to do all He calls me to do for He is my Strength (Ps. 28:7) and Tower of protection (Pr. 18:10).

Thank You Lord for always being one step ahead of me- to lead me!