and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Generosity

       Sometimes I get a little behind on inputting our finances into the computer.  We (I) like to keep track: of all our expenses to see where we spend our money, our accounts, and bill paying.  All the finances are left on my shoulders and that’s okay because the Lord has given me talents in that area and most of the time I enjoy working the numbers.  Though I consider myself fairly generous in life it becomes more difficult to give when you see the bank accounts dwindled down, the money flying out the door for two ‘new to us’ vehicles, a bathroom in severe need of major fixing and knowing the roof plus needs to be redone.

       There are four large trees that need removing and a bathroom wall with a gaping hole which might have to wait another year.  In other words, there are many projects we’ve put off due to 3 ½ years layoff that we’ve not recovered from even with about two years back to work.  With all these needs, you’d think we aren’t able to be generous.  Truthfully, I do let it hold me back sometimes.  I still see the numbers, but hubby sees other’s needs.  He doesn’t let our needs stop him.

       Some of the most generous people I know don’t have a dime to give away.  Instead of cash, they give of their time in help, making things, support, finding deals, fixing things, teaching skills, etc.  Peter displayed this kind of generosity at the Temple, “…Silver and gold have I none, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!(Ac. 3:6)  I bet that man was very happy to have use of his legs over a bit of money- he could make a living again!

“…It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Ac. 20:35
Give*, and it shall be given to you, good measure pressed down and shaken together and running over, they shall give into your bosom. For with the same measure that you measure, it shall be measured to you again. Lk. 6:38 *give something, bestow, gift, supply, reach out, even minister
One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. Pr. 11:24,25 ESV

        There are so many Scriptures concerning generosity, but those above are a good sampling.  The idea is that God meets our needs, so we should be helping to meet the needs of others.  Do we need to have money in the bank when others are in need?  Yes, I guess that would be nice, but not necessary.  That money in the bank doesn’t go to Heaven with me, but it can help someone find Heaven through me.
 
       Does it give God more glory by generously giving or by hoarding to ourselves?  If we are to follow Jesus’ example, did He give generously or was He concerned with His own needs?  Did He focus on making sure His house was fixed, He had enough food, had money in the bank, or did He concern Himself with others’ needs?  We know that answer.  Jesus was always most concerned about others.  Are we not to be like Him?

"…whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1Cr. 10:31

Are our generous hearts showing the glory of God in our lives or are the world’s attitudes on self stifling God’s glory?  

Let everything we do bring Him glory…