and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I feel vomitous…

       Okay, I don’t think that’s a word, but it still applies.  I could claim it’s worldly afflictions or that someone made me this way (bad food); I could claim it’s the devil attacking me or a sensitive stomach due to stress, but the truth is I ate too many unhealthy things today.  Sure my mom ordered a chocolate truffle cheesecake for me, but that was only some of the chocolate and candy I had.  Then there was ice cream when I got home from the restaurant and that last chocolate bar around 10:00pm.  No wonder my stomach is rolling L.

       Tums helps, but not as fast or as much as I’d like it to.  So here I sit feeling all yucky, regretting what I’ve done and hoping it’s over soon.  Isn’t it weird how we put ourselves into all kinds of messes, end up in the consequences of those choices, feel miserable but then blame God for not fixing it or blame others and or the devil for making the bad things happen.  We should expect if we eat unhealthy, we will feel or be unhealthy.

Have you found honey? Eat only .as much as is enough for you, lest you be filled with it and vomit it Pr. 25:16

       That’s kind of the same in other areas of our lives.  We wonder why we are depressed but we read depressing news, watch depressing shows, listen to depressing music, and do nothing but moan and groan over the unfairness of life.  We wonder why our relationships are falling apart but we never eat, work or have fun together, spend time communicating with each other, and actually put all our devices down when doing all this.  Busted! 

       We wonder why we have no spiritual power in our lives but we don’t pray, read the Word, submit to God, obey Him, spend time in His presence, etc.  Instead we relegate Him to a small piece of our life.  We wonder why we are still struggling with sin and can’t stop but we continue to do the things that lead us into sin (hang out with drinkers, watch stimulating movies, check out that one site…) instead of drawing closer to God.  It’s a vicious circle, but what we put into us will saturate our beings and cause negative consequences that become unpleasant.  And we have no one to blame but ourselves.

       I ate a bunch of junk today, now I feel sick.  It is unlikely I would feel the same if I had eaten well.  Junk food is okay within reason, but it doesn’t make it good for me.  “All things are lawful to me, but not all things profit…” (1Cr. 10:23)  And we are not to be like the world that we seem to desire to be like so much.  “Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him, because all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.(1Jh. 2:15,16)
 
       We need to take a good look at where our problems are coming in to see what part we play in it.  If we are making poor choices that are having negative consequences, then we need to take action to rectify the situation.  Talk about God in action instead of complain about our misery.  Communicate with the kids instead of watching everyone play on their devices.  Choose to read the Word instead of watching movies that depict sexual acts.  Spend some time in God’s presence instead of picking up that adult magazine.  Eat fruit instead of sugar.  Choose the good.  Choose God.  Choose life.

I call Heaven and earth to record today against you. I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing. Therefore, choose life, so that both you and your seed may live, so that you may love Jehovah your God, and that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him. For He is your life and the length of your days… Dt. 30:19,20