and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Facing the Lion





       Was it a dream?  There I was in the forest against the rock face of the mountain I was about to climb, facing a terrifying foe- a lion of immense proportions whose ravenous mouth looked like it could swallow me whole as he roared angrily.  In what seemed like forever, but was probably only a nano-second, I thought about what I’d read concerning wild lion attacks:



Stand your ground. Lions, like most cats, don't want to attack prey that will fight back.
Whatever you do, don't turn and run or crouch down - behaviors that will trigger the lion's instinct to attack.

       Looking into his face, every instinct inside of me wanted to run, to escape from this frightening opponent, and hopefully, never see him again.  Instead, I took in a sharp breath, pulled out the sides of my coat to make myself look bigger, put on my fiercest face and stood my ground.  Though I was not very confident, I realized I should rely on the information of the experts who know better.

       The lion poised to strike, it jumped but landed in front of me and roared again.  It paced around me for what seemed like an eternity roaring and swiping, grazing me here and there, but I continued to stand.  Suddenly he turned and ran away from me.

       While this has never literally happened to me, in the spiritual realm it certainly has.  The Bible likens our enemy, the devil to a lion who seeks to devour us, “Be sensible and vigilant, because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking someone he may devour;(1Pt. 5:8)  When he gets ready to attack, Scripture says much the same as the experts in wild animals… stand!

whom firmly resist* in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions in the world are being completed in your brotherhood. (v.9 also v.13,14)
(*anthistemi- to set oneself against, resist, oppose, withstand)
Put on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand* against the wiles of the devil. Ep. 6:11
(*histemi- to cause or make to stand, to make firm, establish, to keep it’s place, to stop- stand still, stand ready or prepared, be of steadfast mind, one who does not hesitate or waiver)

       Read those definitions again and see what God means for us to do when He says “stand” against the enemy… and He is the expert at knowing the enemy.  We need to firmly resist and oppose this roaring lion, not by our own strength, but in God’s strength: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.(Php 4:13) which is abundant (Ps. 147:5), and also by faith in (trusting) God and His ability to help us stand. 

Ah, Lord Jehovah! You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and stretched out arm. Nothing is too great for You. Jr. 32:17
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Ps. 46:1

       So when that nasty lion gets roaring in our face and swiping at us, we need to keep our eyes on the hope before us- that one day we will be forever with the Lord (1Th. 4:17) and that roaring lion, the devil will be no more! (Rv. 19:20; 20:10)  Best of all- remember, we never have to face the lion alone!


Through Him we also have access by faith into this grace in which we stand,
and we rejoice on the hope of the glory of God.
Rm. 5:2
for God is able to make him stand.
Rm. 14:4