and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Slow on the Uptake- Sometimes

       It took me several times to realize that you don't lick frozen metal; as if the first embarrassing stuck tongue was not enough!  Always check the toilet seat at night if there's company because the seat might be left up and you can get a wet bum- the shock makes it difficult to fall back asleep quickly as I learned time and again..  Check all newly cleaned pant legs for underwear before wearing in public as they can slip out as you walk letting everyone see your panties.  Well, that only happened once...
 
       For about 20 years as a driver I would often be confused by highway signs that would say 'West Windsor' or 'East Toronto'.  What if I wanted to go to East Windsor or West Toronto?  Is that not possible by this highway?  What ding dong was labeling the signs anyway?  So it was 10ish years ago that I realized the signs were indicating a direction: north, south, east or west as well as a city in the direction in which I was headed: Windsor, London, Toronto.
 
       It was just two weeks-ish ago that I realized something important about me as a human.  I always knew I was 'created' (through Adam) for God's glory, but up until then I couldn't really say what that meant.  Years ago, when my son commented that God was an egomaniac because He made us to praise Him, I couldn't really counter with Scriptures; now it would be different.  Yet still, I thought 'for God's glory' meant to glorify Him verbally, though God doesn't need our praise (Ac.17:24,25).
 
everyone who is called by My name; for I have created him for My glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. Is. 43:7 (glory- honour, splendor, reputation, reverence)
 
       Notice it doesn't say to glorify Him, but for His glory.  A couple weeks ago I heard (or read) something that transformed my life.  It explained this verse to me this way:
      -everything you do should bring glory to God
      -everything you say should bring glory to God
      -everything you think should bring glory to God
 
       Did my eye rolling impatience at the checkout while waiting for an older person to find change cause God to be glorified or disparaged?  Did my cursing of the man who cut me off on the road bring glory to my God?  Did my thinking that my friend needed "that Scripture" for reproof, but I didn't need it, bring glory to God?  I think not!  Just as my blow-up at my daughter the other day could cause her to avoid becoming a believer, so my deeds, words and thoughts ought not become a stumbling block for others.
 
       Just how do our actions, words and thoughts actually bring glory to God?  In our actions- working hard for our pay, how honest we live, showing kindness and compassion,  putting away that grocery cart in the parking lot that isn't ours, pick up that litter instead of ignoring it because we didn't put it there, displaying the fruit of the Spirit, or drive a stranger back home.  In our words- encouragement when a co-worker is struggling, not even hinting at a brother's flaws to others, giving comfort to a person who made a mistake by sharing one of our stories, sharing what Jesus is doing in our lives including our struggles- openly and honestly.  By our  thoughts- only allowing ourselves to think well of others, not calling people names in our heads, not thinking of how much better we are than them, praying silently when they are in trouble, not watching that tv shows that cause us to sin in our minds, and always thinking favorably towards others, even those irritating us.
 
for you are bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. 1Cr. 6:20 
Therefore whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1Cr. 10:31
 
If anyone speaks, let it be as the words of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as of the ability which God gives, so that God may be glorified in all things through Jesus Christ, to whom is the glory, and the might forever and ever. Amen. 1Pt. 4:11
Give to Jehovah the glory of His name; bring an offering and come before Him. Worship Jehovah in the beauty of holiness. 1Ch. 16:29
In this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, so you shall be My disciples. Jh. 15:8

       Yes, we are to praise the Lord (Is. 43:21) but the way we live is meant for His glory.  And as His children, whether by our life or death, we will bring glory to Him (Php. 1:20).  By our godly actions, words and thoughts, God is glorified, as only He deserves (Is. 48:11).
 
Lord help me- that all my actions, words and thoughts bring glory to You!

And he said, Men, brothers, and fathers, listen:
The God of glory
Ac. 7:2