and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Two Mothers

       Ever since I was young my dream was to have children- lots of them.  I would, of course, be the perfect mother and we would all love each other and have lot's of fun while building memories.  (You can laugh now!!!)  Obviously that dream was shattered when we couldn't conceive... and being the perfect mother is not even possible.  But my motive for wanting children was to love them and share my life with them.

       It kind of surprised me the day a good friend of mine told me her reason for having children was that it naturally followed her marriage.  In other words, it was just another part of how married life continued on.  My reasons for having children never came to her thoughts even as her reason never came to mine.  Am I a better parent because I wanted children for my reasons than she is for having them for hers?  Not at all.  Both are valid and perfectly fine reasons for wanting children.

       So when it comes to why God made man, I think, well, we may never know the entire reason, but it could be because He wanted to share His love and life with others.  Or perhaps it was a natural extension of His 'Family', Father, Son, Spirit.  Or maybe it was what I read on another site:  "God is a creative Being, and it gives Him pleasure to create. God is a personal Being, and it gives Him pleasure to have other beings He can have a genuine relationship with."   (CEO, S. Michael Houdmann. on got questions.org)

       Whatever the reason(s), there are some things the Bible is clear on.  The triune God was has always been and there will never be another true God.  It is He that created the universe, heavens and earth, and every creature- including man- on it: for His purpose, for His will, for fellowship, for good works, and for His glory.  As I am fond of saying, God didn't need man, He wanted man.  He was complete and satisfied in His triune self plus He is totally secure in who He is, so He didn't need us to worship Him to build up His ego.

You are My witnesses, says Jehovah, and My servant whom I have chosen; that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me no God was formed, nor shall there be after Me. Is. 43:10
The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of Heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands, nor is served with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives life and breath and all things to all. Ac.17:24,25 (also Cl. 1:16)
Jehovah has made all for His purpose... Pr. 16:4
O Lord, You are worthy to receive glory and honor and power, because You created all things, and for Your will* they are and were created. Rv. 4:11 (*determination, choice, decree, desire, pleasure, will)
God is faithful, by whom you were called to the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1Cr. 1:9
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them. Ep. 2:10
everyone who is called by My name; for I have created him for My glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. Is. 43:7

       And so, God had His reasons for creating us, and no matter what the reason(s), we can be assured that He does love us (Rm. 5:8) and wants to bestow His love upon us.  Funny thing is...  We don't have to accept it.  We could completely reject it and never know the greatest- genuine love of the One who created us.  How awful that would be!


Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us,
that we should be called children of God!...
1Jh. 3:1