and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

An Eye Set on a Treat



       By the time he caught my eye, he was mid window of the information booth, precariously leaning on a cane and walking slowly, so slowly that it took about two minutes to pass corner to corner of the small booth and get back in our sight.  By then, my cousin had run out after him to make sure he was okay.

       He didn’t want any assistance so she came back in the booth, and out of concern we both watched as he wobbled towards the strawberries and ice cream booth in case he got into trouble.  After getting his treat, he sat down, ate it, then left the same way he came in.  All that work and effort on his part for one bowl of yummy strawberries and cream!

       If I put myself in his position, in a body difficult to move, would I have gone to that same trouble?  Not for strawberries and ice cream (or perhaps the tradition of it) but I guess I do put forth effort even when struggling if I consider it important enough: like when my children were sick, scared, hungry, or needing help.  There were times when I assisted family and friends when they need it even when I was hurting.  Of course I try to spend time with my Father when I am hurting, but that’s a necessity.

       I remind myself frequently that this body isn’t so important because it is dying day by day anyway and will not last forever (Ps. 146:4).  I’m okay with that because I prefer a new healthy body anyway (1Cor. 15:51-55).  Besides, the Lord gave me an incredible dream once to encourage me regarding what I would look like in heaven (here) and I am very much looking forward to that day- without pain, sickness, disease, and a body that keeps giving out and falling apart like an old, misused car (Rev. 21:4-22:5).

       That’s what I want.  Like that man at the festival who went to extraordinary lengths for his treat, my treat is the hope before me of an eternity with Jesus (Jh. 14:1-3) and a new Heaven and Earth without the curse, sorrow, decay and death of today.  So that is what I will set my long term goal as, what I will give effort and strive for, even (hopefully) when my body is screaming in agony and I don’t think I can go another step.  With God’s help, I can make it through all the darkness of this age and end up where He wants me to be...
                        with Him!

He wants you there too!


Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 1Cor. 15:51-53 ESV

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. Php. 3:20,21 ESV

But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our 
Lord Jesus Christ.
(1Cor.15:57)