and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Beautiful Words



       Sometimes I enjoy reading the Song of Solomon.  There are so many beliefs about the meaning of the book, but in my opinion, many things in the Bible have more than one meaning.  {Example: Dan. 11:31 is about a prince who would pollute the temple.  While this speaks of the Antichrist (2Th. 2:4; Mt. 24:15) it was also fulfilled historically around 167 BC by Antiochus IV Epiphanes (meaning god manifest) after he violated the temple with an idol god and sacrificed pigs there.}

       For certain it speaks about love between Solomon and a woman.  Some say it also speaks of God’s love for the Jews, God’s love for the church, God’s love for all believers, or God’s love for His bride.  Personally, I believe it could be read with them all in mind.  I want to share this Bible passage written to the bride (as in all believers Jewish or Gentile) in TLB version for its beauty:

Mt. Hermon


Song of Solomon 4:8-15

Come with me from Lebanon, my bride.  We will look down from the summit of the mountain, from the top of Mount Hermon, where the lions have their dens, and the panthers prowl.  You have ravished my heart, my lovely one, my bride; I am overcome by one glance of your eyes, by a single bead of your necklace.
How sweet is your love, my darling, my bride.  How much better it is than mere wine.  The perfume of your love is more fragrant than all the richest spices.  Your lips, my dear, are made of honey.  Yes, honey and cream are under your tongue, and the scent of your garments is like the scent of the mountains and cedars of Lebanon.
       My darling bride is like a private garden, a spring that no one else can have, a fountain of my own.
       You are like a lovely orchard bearing precious fruit, with the rarest of perfumes; nard and saffron, calamus and cinnamon, and perfume from every other incense tree, as well as myrrh and aloes, and every other lovely spice.  You are a garden fountain, a well of living water, refreshing as the streams from the Lebanon mountains.

Refreshing waters from Mt. Hermon