and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Fire Next Door

 
        It was the sirens that first alerted us to the fact something bad was happening across the road from us that Saturday in November.  Smoke was already rolling out of the chimney as the first fire truck pulled up.  After extending hospitality to the homeowners, who were all safely outside watching, I returned home to watch in warmth (and run outside for the occasional picture).

       Fire vehicles, firemen in their yellow coats, high velocity water spraying at the house, smoke billowing, and other firemen storming into the house to fight the fire from inside- altogether it was far more interesting to observe than anything the tv had on.

       Most of the house was saved due to the quick actions of the homeowners and the fire department, though substantial damage is still visible.  What the exact cause of the fire was, I never did hear, but due to what I observed it seemed to begin in the chimney.  Chimney fires usually start due to creosote build up (from wood burning) which catches fire due to external issues.

       They say that if you maintain your chimney with a proper, regular cleaning, you should not have a problem because the creosote will not remain built up.  Cleaning is usually done by a professional chimney sweep who brings the necessary equipment to fully inspect then clean the chimney.  It surely is much better to be inspected and cleaned up by a professional than to catch fire and possible burn down the house, maybe even lose your life.

       As flawed human beings, we also build up grime of sin in us and it may not be as obvious as a fire.  Still, it is best to go to allow the Master to fully inspect us and clean us up.  David spoke about this in the Bible:

       Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts, and see if any wicked way is in me...  Ps. 139:23,24 (search= penetrate, examine) (try= test as metals, investigate)
       (David, mentally and physically miserable due to sin goes to the God who forgives) I confessed my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, I will confess my transgression to Jehovah; and You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah.  Ps. 32:1-5
       If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1Jh. 1:9

       David knew the One who could thoroughly inspect and clean him was the only One who could find ALL his wicked ways- those we know as sin, AND those we don't.  "Wash me completely from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin." (Ps. 51:2) This King over a nation often bowed down before a mighty God asking for mercy and grace with a broken and contrite heart (Ps. 51:17).  He usually dealt with his sin before extensive damage, 'fire' or death to self.  The best thing was David knew His God was able to deliver- and so we can know too!
 

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Ps. 51:7