and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, January 28, 2013

The colour of love

       What’s your favorite colour?  Mine is blue- it has always been blue.  Some people change their favorite over the years, but not me.  In reality, I really like most bright colours (no pastels or soft shades), and lately, I’ve even started liking lime green again (long story involving the house I grew up in), but blue is still my favorite.  Forget pink for my baby daughter, I dressed her in blue whenever I could!

       Occasionally my hubby has bought me blue flowers- just because he loves me, but the very first flower (a rose) he bought me was for our first date and it was a deep orange/ red.  God told him to buy that colour, so with great effort he did only to find out it was and still is my favorite colour rose.  In the world there are a large variety of colours, both natural and manmade.  Even God puts rainbows in the sky as a remembrance of His promise to man (Gen. 9:13).  Of course God made all the colours (Gen. 1), probably for pleasure and so we could learn to reproduce them in creative ways.

        But when I think of love, what colour do I see?  The heart shape we use to symbolize love is a beautiful bright red seen especially around Valentine’s Day, but the colour of love to me is a far deeper red, that which was poured out at the cross by Jesus...

for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins.
Mt. 26:28 ASV
and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Heb. 9:22
No one has greater love than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Jh. 15:13
This is how we have come to know love: the Messiah gave his life for us
1Jh. 3:16 ISV
(of the Messiah)He has poured out His soul to death
Is. 52:12
But God demonstrates his love for us by the fact that the Messiah died for us
while we were still sinners.
Rom. 5:8 ISV