and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Surrender/ Submit/ Choose

       There’s a story about General Forrest and his confederate soldiers in 1864 that won the unconditionally surrender of Colonel Campbell and his union soldiers by giving Campbell a tour of all the confederate troops, which in reality kept moving camp from place to place, artillery and all to make it look like they had far more soldiers than they had.

       This morning I’ve been thinking about the surrender of our will and what it means to completely surrender oneself to the Lord God.  While the actual English word is not found in many versions of the Bible, there are several Hebrew words that could be translated that way.  Of course, you would find to submit (completely) or to choose, so if you prefer, you could think of those instead.  Anyway, here’s what I was thinking.

       Most of my Christian life I have sang the words “I surrender” all and other such words, but until late 2005 I didn’t really know what that meant.  Now when I sing or say those words I understand the full context of what they mean- only I realize I am saying it more by faith than with the proof of action.  What I mean is that no matter how much I think I am surrendered (and it is far more than my early years) there is always more I find that isn’t surrendered.

       So, what parts of me do I struggle to surrender to God’s will?  My body sometimes when I still go on unhealthy binges just because I want to.  My mind when it drifts into fantasy, or leaning into my own understanding. My emotions when anger arises quicker than love. My lifestyle when I choose anything over time with God. My parenting without asking God for help or advice.  Gee, the more I think about it, the more I realize I still need to surrender.  Will it ever be mostly complete- before the end?  Another person wrote this and I like it so much I am reposting it:

I seem to have to fight this battle many times. That leads to the inevitable conclusion – I have yet to really surrender my will. As much as I want the fight to be over, I am a coward when it comes to total abandonment. I keep holding on to just a little reserve – just in case, you know, things get really bad. Just in case they don’t work out the way I want. Just in case I really seem to be heading for a cross.  Skip Moen

       It’s true.  I keep finding these ‘reserves’ of control left in me that I haven’t unconditionally surrendered to God, and I wonder, what am I hanging on to them for?

Oh Father, help me to be like Jesus in the Garden when He said, “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Yours be done.(Lk 22:42); help me completely and unconditionally surrender every part of me and my life to You.

Trust in Jehovah with all your heart,
and lean not to your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct your paths.
Pr. 3:5,6