and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, November 02, 2012

Who Would I Have Been?


Jesús en casa de Anás Museo del Prado José de Madrazo

       Many people, even Christians look down on the Jews in Jesus’ day because they killed Him.  The thing is, they went to synagogue every week and held festivals at the right time, so they heard the scriptures and they all knew a Messiah was to come.  But their idea of Messiah was one who would come and give them political freedom from their oppressors forever, not of a meek, humble man more concerned about their souls than their present predicament.  Hence that was the reason they did not know Him when He came.

       This morning I was thinking about who I would have been if I were born in Jesus’ time.  Believing the idea above, and given how I acted/ thought before I was saved, it doesn’t take me long to figure out that I probably would have been an established Pharisee.  You know, someone more concerned about appearances and tradition than an actual heart for God.  Would I have ever accepted Him?  Maybe, but maybe I would have condemned (by vote) Him to death.  This is a poem of mine from when I was thinking about how my actions as a Christian were like their actions in Jesus’ day.


How many times…

How often have I turned away
  when others cursed your name?
How many times have I accused
  you of not caring about me?
How many times have I condemned you
  when I couldn’t get my way?
How often have I spit at
  all the good you’ve done for me?
How many times have I betrayed
  you with my kiss?

How often have I beat you
  with my insults and my lies?
How many times have I whipped you
  with my bitter tongue?
How many times have I pushed
  my hate as thorns into your head?
How often have I nailed your hands
  and feet to stop their work?
How many times have I thrust
  my angry sword into your side?

They watched your flesh
rip off your bones
and laughed at your disgrace.
How could I say what
I’d have done if
I were in their place.
For everything they did
I’ve done so many times
to you.
And you, sweet Jesus
took it all and said,
“I still love you!”


© Vicky