and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Whispering Trees


       I love nature.  One of the things I enjoy doing is walking through a forested area, preferably on a rustic path.  In the winter, or before the spring, I like to see the twists and turns of the branches, their uniqueness and quiet strength showing through.  In the fall, the bursts of colour make everything seem alive and inviting one into a surreal state.  In the summer, the trees exude life and beckon one to adventure and mystery.  No matter which of the three seasons we are in where the leaves remain on the trees, my second favorite part of being in a forest is hearing the whisper of the trees as the gentle breeze caresses their leaves.

       I hear the noise and it’s as if tiny voices are calling out to one another, maybe in the distance, which is why I can’t really differentiate one voice from another or distinguish the words they are saying.  The intrigue in those ‘voices’ draw me into the depths of the forest and beg for me to stay.  Lately, there’s been another sound I’ve been hearing as I go through my day.  It’s similar to the sound in the forest and it too draws me in, begs me to come and stay.  I don’t really hear specific words, but I know what it’s saying none the less.  It bids me “come…  come…”

It’s the voice of our Lord

He’s whispering to us all, “Come…  come…


Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice Dt. 4:36

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Mt. 11:28

And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me Mr. 1:17

And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a whileMr. 6:31 

Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine  Jh. 21:12