and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Sunlight through the Window

 
        As I sat on the bed in the quietness of the room while spending time in the presence of the Lord, the sun began to shine through the window. It not only warmed me up from the slight morning chill, but it shone through my closed eyelids making them appear a soft red, then orange, then yellow, and then almost like a pure, bright white light. It was far more brilliant than the other colours and actually became difficult to ‘look’ at, so I had to open my eyes.

       It made me think about how Jesus is the Light of the world (Jh. 8:12) and how He shines in my dark places, exposing my sin to his light and warming up my heart: 
 
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2Cor. 4:6
God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 1Jh. 1:5
But ye are a chosen generation …that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 1Pt. 2:9

        What keeps us in our darkness? Fear, shame, guilt, desire, flesh, love of self over love of God? Sin is often typified as darkness, and pestilence, death and sin reside there: Ps. 91:6; Jer. 13:16; Ac. 26:18 “And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.” (Jh. 3:19) But when Jesus (our Light) came we did not, as a human race, recognize Him:And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.” (Jh. 1:5) Our refusal to accept Him does nothing to change the truth: He is our Light and only He can dispel our darkness.

        One day I won’t have to close my eyes in the sunshine of my window to see a bright light. On that day I will walk in the city of my God and my Savior, my Lamb will be the light of it, and my God will be my glory. And there I will have perfect peace and life abounding- forever- and I will cry no more tears of unhappiness. There I will no longer ‘see’ darkness in myself...

but for the first time I will see pure Light.

The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. Is. 60:19
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. Rev. 21:23