and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Like a Trampled Rose

Like a rose, trampled on the ground,
You took the fall, and You thought of me
Above all.

       During my worship time I was pondering these words from the song ‘Above All’ sang by Michael W. Smith and I wondered how often Jesus, the ‘You’ in the song really felt trampled by society, and by people who never really understood who He was.  He was God (Jh. 1:1,14,29,36) and He chose before the foundations of the world (Rev. 13:8) to set aside what He had as God (Php. 2:7) to come down as a helpless, weak, limited and dependent baby who needed poopie diapers changed, and to be taken care of and fed by other humans.
(Luke 2:4-52)

He did all that and more.


       Jesus endured temptation (Mt. 4:1-11), He lived a life of sacrifice, denying the flesh that probably would have liked to live a normal life, healed and delivered many people even when tired/sad (Mr. 6:34), taught and discipled for us three years and by doing that showed us the way of life, and then allowed Himself to stand accused of crimes, an innocent (Jh. 19:6) man, and yet defended not Himself (Mt. 27:14).  He suffered greatly (Jh. 18:22-19:34; Is. 53) and died on the cross.  Why did He do it?  “…Jesus …who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Heb. 12:2)  He rose, by the power of God, from death and makes intercession for us (Rom. 8:34) at the right hand of God.

He did all that and more.

       He gives us abundant life here, “…I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(Jh. 10:10) and promises eternal life to those who believe (Rom. 6:23).  This man is our Savior (1Jh. 4:14).  Jesus has given all for us, yet daily I find myself trampling Him despite all He has done.  I ignore Him because I’m too busy and have things to do.  I think about myself first when making decisions, rarely stopping to ask Him.  I give in to sin when it suits me- sometimes not even bothering to resist.  I watch TV and read novels instead of spending time with Him.  Many times I neglect to express gratitude for all He has done and continues to do and I certainly don’t treat others with the same great love, compassion, mercy and grace that my Lord Jesus Christ has shown me.

       Do not my selfish actions trample all He has done in the dirt as if it was nothing?  Does my resistance to growth/ maturity not smack of arrogance?  Ah, conviction hits my heart today, and I wonder: just how many times have I trampled Him, like a beautiful rose, on the filthy ground?

Oh Lord, I am a sinner and am in need of Your help for only You can help me.  Don’t forsake me and continue to change me because I really don’t want to remain the selfish person that I am.