and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Why I Like Birthdays


       I had a friend mention today that I must really like birthdays.  To be honest, I never thought about it at all, but it only took a moment or two to figure out why.  It isn’t the decorations, parties, or presents, it isn’t the cards, good food or warm wishes that thrill me; it is the actual birth of that specific person.

       The Creator of the universe saw that we needed a particular personality, unique in character and form to be in a precise place and specific time, and then- since I know it’s their birthday- the Lord allowed me the knowledge of this precious person. Isn’t that exciting?  How much better can it be?  The Lord of all deemed my life to be improved by knowing this person born on their birthday in their birthplace to their particular family.  No matter how I think about it, it is all very marvelous to me!

       God has a purpose for everyone He brought to life: Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr, and you.  Imagine that… I placed you in a group of very well known people who did ‘great things’ in the world!  Do you know why?  Because you will do great things in the lives of the people around you… if you follow the Lord and do His will.

It is not important that you be known ‘world wide’, you just need to be known by God. (Nah. 1:7; Mt. 7:23)

Here is scripture on the birth of a new person.  (From TLB for the beauty of it)

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body, and knit them together in my mother’s womb.  Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!  It is amazing to think about.  Your workmanship is marvelous- and how well I know it.  You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion!  You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe.  Every day was recorded in your Book!

How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly!  I can’t even count how many times a day your thoughts turn towards me.  And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me!
                                                                                                            (Ps. 139:13-18)

The God of all creation is glad you were born…

                           And so am I !!!