and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Perfect Gift

       It had taken us months consulting with each other on the perfect gift: we considered needs, wants, likes and significance.  Once decided, it took weeks before we managed to find the exact item we were looking for.  There was more time spent arranging everything, even determining the best delivery possible- one of us delivering the package in person.  That alone took phone calls, ticket selection, purchase, and packing.  This would be the biggest and best gift Auntie Joe would ever receive and it would bring her years of pleasure!


       What an honour it was for me to be chosen to deliver it!  I arrived at the airport two hours in advance, and ended up having all my possessions rifled through, and being pulled in for questioning.  They grilled me for what seemed like hours, and then they had me strip searched!  It was humiliating!  Still, I never regretted the decision to deliver our special gift in person.  I couldn’t wait to see the look on Auntie Joe’s face when she saw me and opened her gift from us. 

       Thursday night I arrived in Amsterdam and took a taxi to a little ‘low end’ bed and breakfast unknown by most travelers.  I called home to let them know I had arrived and to ensure all the necessary arrangements had been made to make sure Auntie would be home when I arrived at the next day and I was relieved to find out she would absolutely be home.
 
       The next morning I spent two hours carefully and creatively decorating her special gift with the perfect wrap, bows and ribbon (since we didn’t want it to rumple in transit).  I arrived at her house at exactly the right time, and joyously skipped up the sidewalk in anticipation of the pleasure in seeing her open the gift.  It was so exciting!!!

       I knocked at the door for several minutes, but there was no answer, so I put down the gift and began knocking even louder.  Why wasn’t she answering?  Disappointment began to set in.  I started calling out to her, “Auntie, let me in…  please let me in,” but still there was no response.  After an hour of trying, with a saddened heart I decided to leave it be for the night.

       Perhaps another day would be better.  It broke my heart to think she might never have the joy of receiving our perfect gift we had so carefully planned.  Later, Uncle found out that Auntie had been home but ignored the knocking because she was too busy with her day and felt she didn’t want to be disturbed.

Jesus says…
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Rev. 3:20

Don’t be too busy to open the door of your heart and life to the Lord.  He really wants to be with you!