and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life is a Vapour


       Eighty, ninety years seems like a long time to me; especially since I am only half way there.  Mankind in our human, frail, sinful bodies are not meant to live forever.  The Lord made sure of that when He kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden so they wouldn’t eat from the tree of life and live forever in their sinful state. (Gen. 3:22,23)  We are like a vapour that appears for a while then vanishes- like morning fog. (Jm. 4:14)  When I compare my life to eternity that is when I feel small and like a vapour.  In the context of eternity, a hundred years is very short. 

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Ps. 90:12 

       Why does Moses say we should learn to number our days?  It is so we may apply our hearts to wisdom.  In what ways?  We should keep in mind that our days are short so we would not waste them in the foolishness of the world and worldly pleasures.  We should be living life fully, and there is no better way to do that than to be in the Lord’s will and following the Spirit’s lead.  If tomorrow were your last day on earth, where would your priorities be?  ‘...teach us to number our days…’

       When we realize our time is short, we value things more appropriately.  In other words, things become less important and people more important.  A short time motivates us to better our relationships with others, family, friends, and all loved ones.  We will use our time and talents more wisely when we consider our days are numbered.  And most of all, it encourages us to press in to the Lord while we are still here and able to do the work He has called us to do.

LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am. Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.
Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them. And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee.  Ps. 39:4-7


Lord, my days here are just a short time.  Help me remember that and use my time wisely- for Your glory and honour.  Shine Your light through me so that others will want You in their lives before it is too late.

My hope is in You!