and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Uncomplicated Faith of a Child

       There aren’t too many memories I have of my younger years, but I do recall that I never worried about having enough food (I’d have liked more sugary cereals and less macaroni and cheese loaf), enough clothes (would have preferred jeans over brown polyester pants) and rarely got the toys I wanted.  Still, I just always assumed my parents would tend to all my needs.  Most of us in North America grew up that way.  We didn’t always get our wants, but most of the time we had our needs met.

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Mt. 18:2,3

       Little children have a simple assurance in their parents to meet all their needs.  Children in this country don’t usually worry about what they will eat, drink, wear, where they will sleep, how they will get where they need to go, etc.  I think that is one of the things Jesus spoke about in Mt. 18.  As the Father’s children, we also need that kind of faith.

       It is not so difficult in good economic times, but the past few years are more challenging for us adults.  My own husband has been layed off for a while yet I have a confident belief God will continue to provide and he will get back to work.  We are not supposed to be constantly worried about how and when our needs will be met, but we can be assured God will provide (even if not to our ‘desired’ levels).

your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Mt. 6:8 
"So don't ever worry by saying, 'What are we going to eat?' or 'What are we going to drink?' or 'What are we going to wear?' …Surely your heavenly Father knows that you need all of them! But first be concerned about God's kingdom and his righteousness, and all of these things will be provided for you as well. So never worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Mt. 6:31-34

       Don’t worry about tomorrow, trust in your Father to take care of you.  Even when you cannot comprehend how it will all work out, know that He knows your needs.  I can only say we have survived because of the grace and provision of God.  He has not let us down.  I may not have everything I want, but I want Him more than anything.  And I am confident He will continue to care for us.

The Lord loves you, He knows your needs.  Trust Him to provide.