and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Stinkin’ Thinkin’


Clipartheaven.com
         At my first evangelical church I had a pastor who would talk about stinkin’ thinkin’.  What he meant was our tendency to think about or dwell on things that we shouldn’t.  This could mean dwelling on sinful thoughts.  This could mean worries, especially ones that may not even happen.  It could also be depressing or negative things that pull you down mentally or emotionally.

       As evening wore on I became prone to quick irritability and discontent.  When I pondered why it became so difficult to adjust my thinking, I considered how my day started.  I didn’t start with the Lord; I didn’t pray, worship, thank Him, or even say good morning.  I slothfully relaxed pondering things I knew I shouldn’t.  I watched tv, but didn’t bother reading the Word.  I played computer games, but didn’t once ask the Lord what He wanted me to do.  My choices caused stinkin’ thinkin’ which then caused mental and emotional turmoil.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Php. 4:8 
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.  Mt.  
…walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, …put off ...the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; Eph. 4:17,22,23
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Rom. 12:2

       We are called out of the world- to be different then them.  They have reprobate minds because they reject God (Rom. ) but we are to be transformed by the renewing (making new after decay, destruction or depravation; reviving) of our mind.  This isn’t going to happen by wishful thinking, hoping without action, or just going to church on Sundays.  Our mind will only be renewed by reading and studying the Word, praying, worshipping, being in the Lord’s presence, in Christian fellowship, and hearing/ watching- Word based teaching and music.

       So the conclusion is: garbage in, garbage out.  I chose to feed on garbage today instead of healthy, solid food, with the result being unhealthy reactions.  As easy as it is to go back to the reprobate human nature that we started with I need to resolve to open up my Bible and read when my mind starts in with the stinkin’ thinkin’.

Lord, please help me to make the right choices.