and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Trouble on the Line

       Her cracked and wobbly voice whispered over the line and in over forty years I had never heard her so distraught.  “I can’t stay… I can’t take this anymore so I’m leaving.”  Dropping everything I was doing and needed to do, I got into my car and drove to where she was staying.  We sat in the locked bathroom talking through the crisis until she was calmer and able to hang on.  That’s what you do for someone you love when they are in need.

       David loved and delighted in God and His Word.  Out in the pastureland, David learned experientially to trust in God for salvation, forgiveness, mercy, (Ps. 86:5) help, deliverance, (Ps. 86:13) compassion, refuge, protection and more. (Ps. 86:15) So when David was in need, he cried out to the Lord who loved him:


Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me. Ps. 86:6,7 


       David didn’t just call out to God in times of trouble, but daily. (Ps. 86:3)  He knew God would answer because He had always answered.  Though David knew his ‘God promised’ future, he maintained a humble and needy attitude, “for I am poor and needy.” (Ps. 86:1) The words here mean depressed in mind or circumstances, afflicted, lowly and want, destitute.  Destined for kingship, David saw his own humble status in creation and in his distressed, troubled times cried out to the Lord who loved him.

       And God would ‘come running’ to David.  Even if God didn’t answer David’s prayer the way he wanted, he was certain that God would respond. (v.7) Jesus talked about the Father’s love for us in the story of the prodigal son.  Upon seeing the son return, the Father runs out to him, embraces and kisses him. (Lk. 15:20) David knew the Father that way and trusted in His loving response.

       The Lord is listening to every one of us.  We are His children and He loves us.  He may not have to drop everything and come running when we are in trouble (‘cause He can do more than one thing at a time!!!) but He surely comes right when we need Him.  And even when His response is not the one we want, He gives us comfort, peace, joy, love, and stays with us through every crisis of life.