and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Need Glasses?

       It doesn’t matter how much I strain or try to see without my glasses, the distance remains a blur.  It’s especially bad when you are uncertain of the time on the clock at the end of the dining table.  I’ve been wearing glasses since I was about eight, and my drivers license requires they be worn to drive, but the truth is for seeing distance I don’t like to have them off.  I can’t stand seeing blurry!  The crisp details of life are interesting to me.

       Brandon Heath wrote a song, “Give Me Your Eyes” about a person, likely a Christian, who is asking God to give him God’s eyes so that he can see the people the way God sees them.  It is easier to look past people with their struggles and pain, because when we look at them we begin to really see them; seeing them means we might begin to empathize, and then we will have to do something… and who has the time or resources to do that, right?  Looking past is the easy way out- and the self absorbed way.  God always sees man, every man, even his innermost part.
(1Sam. 16:7)

       Jesus said the two greatest commands were to love the Lord your God with your whole self, and to love your neighbour as yourself.  (Just check out how many times in the New Testament it says to love our fellow man- it’s a lot.)  So, I’m thinking that we need to pay attention to the many scriptures that say we are to love others not just in words, but in actions.

       To start, it might help if we all put on our 'God' glasses so that we can see more clearly.  We were supposed to put them on when we first accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, and most of us did start seeing some things clearer, but it’s not too late to see it all the way God wants us to see it.  Scripture is meant to help us clear up our vision.  The more we read and understand with the Holy Spirit’s help, the clearer we will see.

       Also, we can ask the Lord to help us better see the world, the spirit realm, and most of all our fellow man- through His eyes.  Lately I’ve begun to see things quite differently.  It is like I have been given a more accurate prescription to see the beautiful details of life, though it also comes with a bit of sadness as I see the desperate needs of those struggling or in pain.  Still, I don’t want to live seeing blurry anymore.  How about you?


Lord, help all your people to see our fellow man through Your eyes and heart
     And help us to love every man the way You do.