and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Want or Need?

For they that are after the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. Rom 8:5 
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 1 John 2:16 

       I was dwelling on scriptures about the flesh one day and began considering how often we ‘feed’ our flesh as opposed to ‘feeding’ our spirit.  That led me to wonder, “Of all the times I fulfill my ‘needs’ how many are actual needs as opposed to wants?”  Logic says that which you feed will grow stronger, larger.  If I want to increase my spirit man, then I must feed him more often.  Still, I was curious how often I feed my flesh.

       So, I gave myself a test day.  Everything I was about to do/watch/eat/drink/dwell on/go/buy/etc, I asked myself first, “Is this truly a need or is it a want.”  For example, I was a little hungry.  I went to get a cookie.  Hmm… want or need?  First- I didn’t have to eat because it wouldn’t be long until my next meal.  Second- why a cookie full of sugar and chocolate?  Surprisingly I found out that my wants far surpass my actual needs.  It’s an interesting test.  Try it and see what results you get.

       PS- This doesn’t mean I’m against satisfying wants; it’s just a an experience to learn more about ourselves.