and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Sermonizing

       I enjoy a good sermon, but to me a good sermon is one that the Spirit of God wants spoken.  Years ago when I was in Bible College, my homiletics teacher made a wise statement that I’ve never forgotten.  Give the right message to the right people at the right time.  This is near impossible for man as we cannot know what an entire congregation needs to hear at any particular time, but not so with God.  God knows what each person in a congregation needs to hear at any time.  Paul wrote:

Dear brothers, even when I first came to you I didn’t use lofty words and brilliant ideas to tell you God’s message.    And my preaching was very plain, not with a lot of oratory and human wisdom, but the Holy Spirit’s power was in my words, proving to those who heard them that the message was from God.  I did this because I wanted your faith to stand firmly upon God, not on man’s great ideas. 1 Cor. 1-5 TLB

       There are a lot of ‘great’ speakers out there who try to make us feel good about life, ourselves, and they motivate us to… something.  They use lofty words and brilliant ideas to stir us up.  They ensure their words are written for the best possible response, so that people enjoy them and want to hear more- and buy their books to read!  This is the world’s wisdom.  In contrast, Paul spoke in the power of the Holy Spirit, He who knows all, to encourage men not to rely on themselves or on another man, but to rely solely on God.

We speak wisdom, however, among them that are fullgrown: yet a wisdom not of this world, nor of the rulers of this world, who are coming to nought: …But unto us God revealed them through the Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? even so the things of God none knoweth, save the Spirit of God. But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words. Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged. 1 Cor. 2:6-14  ASV

       The first believers spoke not in the wisdom of the world nor as the leaders of their time (all of which would perish) but through the Spirit of God who knows the things of God.  This Spirit is the very same one we received after Jesus sent Him to us. (John 16:7)  This doesn’t mean we shut off our brains and don’t use them in matters concerning God.  He gave us our intelligence and intends for us to use it.  What it does mean is He wants us to allow the Spirit of God to teach us, lead us in the way we should go (Ps. 25:4,5), and in what we should say at any particular time.  His wisdom is beyond our comprehension anyway.

       It doesn’t impress me when speakers use intelligent words or have written a quality sermon.  What impresses me is when they know God well enough to allow the Spirit of God to speak through them.  It not only touches my heart, but instigates changes in my life.  The result is that I see a great God (instead of a great speaker) and I lean more on the Author and Finisher of my faith.  For a truly great sermon, preach the right message to the right people at the right time.  Let the Holy Spirit lead the way, for He is more than willing to help.