and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Should I Worry? ;) The Do’s

       Over the years there is one verse in the Bible that the Lord keeps directing me to and He’s just done it again.  I wonder if that means I’ll be needing to rely on it soon- in which case I’d better gear up for battle, especially since He wants me to recommit it to memory. 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Js. 1:9 ESV (afraid from MKJV) 

       Of course in context we notice this is said to Joshua as he is going into the land of Canaan to conquer it.  How does this apply to us?  Well, when we are stepping out into God’s will for us, whether in small or big ways, I’m sure He wants us to be strong, courageous, and not afraid or dismayed as well.  (It is interesting to note that in v.7 he was told to be strong and VERY courageous, not for battle, but to follow God’s Word without turning from it)  Surely these four commanded actions are not prominent in all our personalities, so what do those of us do who struggle with weakness in these areas?

       First we need to realize it is not an option but a command.  God said to do it!  Just like a commander when he issues an order, it must be obeyed: whether we feel like it, want to do it, are too tired, too sick or for any other reason.  So again, when faced with an action that does not come naturally, then what are we to do?  Start by understanding the verse more fully.

Be strong:
(also v.6) to strengthen, prevail, harden, be strong, become strong, be courageous, be firm, grow firm, be resolute, be sore
Our strength will fail, so I think it’s best to rely on God giving us the strength we need to do His will.  “He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world” (1Jh. 4:4)
Jehovah will give strength to His people; Jehovah will bless His people with peace. Ps. 29:11
In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength; my hiding-place is in God. Ps. 62:7
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; He also has become my salvation. Is. 12:2

Be courageous:
(also v.6) to be strong, alert, courageous, brave, stout, bold, solid, hard
It takes courage to step out of our comfort zone and do the things God wants us to do.  What great examples of courageous acts we have.
Abram left his relatives behind for a new country. Gn. 12:1
Joseph interpreted Pharaoh’s dreams. Gn. 41:15,16
Caleb, at over 80 took the land God gave Him. Js. 14:11
Jael (a woman) took out an enemy commander. Jd. 4:17+
Esther went into the king’s court which could mean death. Es. 5:1,2
David fought a bear, a lion and a giant. 1Sm. 17:33-36
Abigail appeases insulted David. 1Sm. 25:18+
Daniel said no to eating the king’s food. Dn. 1:8
Peter and John are threatened- still preach. Ac. 4:29
Stephen faced execution and preached. Ac. 7:2

(Tune in tomorrow for The Don'ts)