and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Should I Worry? ;) The Do Not's


       As stated yesterday, strength and courage are what we need to have in the walk of obedience to the Lord.  Without help from the Lord this might be difficult if not impossible to do as we often face challenges that go against our personality and preferred behaviours.  For instance, I prefer staying in the background, but the Lord tells me to step out and be in the forefront.  I’m not one who likes confrontation, but the Lord sometimes tells me to do so.  Boldness is not easy for me, but the Lord brings situations that require it at times.  That is why I appreciate this verse for it is a great reminder to step out in faith and trust God with the results.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Js. 1:9 ESV (afraid from MKJV)

       This is said to Joshua who is in charge of the people of Israel as they go into the Promised Land to take it over from the inhabitants.  It was a tough job and I’m pretty sure not all of the people enjoyed fighting.  Joshua had to lead these people into a difficult situation by first getting them across the Red Sea.  But the promise would only be fulfilled as they (both Joshua and the people Js. 10:25) stepped out of their comfort zones and followed God’s will.  For that, they needed strength and courage, but then they needed to abstain from two behaviours- fear and dismay.

Do not be afraid:
to tremble, dread, fear, oppress, prevail, break, be terrified, cause to tremble
Some people are risk takers and others are not, so how do we stop being afraid?  Only by relying on the Lord for ALL that we need to step out, and then do it anyway remembering:
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has torment. He who fears has not been perfected in love. 1Jh. 4:18
When I am afraid I will trust in You. In God I will praise His Word; in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do to me. Ps. 56:3,4
For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2Tm. 1:7
Do not fear; for I am with you; be not dismayed; for I am your God. I will make you strong; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of My righteousness.
For I, Jehovah your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Is. 41:10,13
But now so says Jehovah who created you, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel; Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. Is. 43:1

Do not be dismayed:
to be shattered, be dismayed, be broken, be abolished, be afraid
Fear can be pervasive and it can stop us from doing what God wants and what we need to do.  That is why it is important to know our powerful and mighty God, and to remember we are His children whom He favours.
And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it. Do not fear, nor be dismayed, for Jehovah God, my God, will be with you. He will not fail you nor leave you until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of Jehovah. 1Ch. 28:20
And he said, Listen, all Judah, and you people of Jerusalem, and King Jehoshaphat! So says Jehovah to you, Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude. For the battle is not yours, but God's. 2Ch. 20:15
King Hezekiah to the people. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of the king of Assyria, or for all the multitude with him. For there are more with us than with him. 2Ch. 32:7

       So in all the Scriptures from yesterday and today, the reason we can be strong and courageous and also not fear or be dismayed is because we do not step out on our own for there is one with us who is stronger than all others and He resides in us. (1Jh. 4:4)  He is our strength, our song, our Rock, our salvation, who holds and upholds us, and whose love is forever with us.  He supplies us with everything we need to do the work He has called us to do.  He is with us, will not leave us and battles for us. “…I will be with you. I will not fail you nor forsake you.(Js. 1:5)

And Jehovah is He who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not fail you nor forsake you. Do not fear; nor be dismayed. Dt. 31:8

Being afraid and dismayed are both burdens and wrongs, and we need to lay them aside, stepping out in faith to do the work God has called us to do.

Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight* and the sin* which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith… Hb. 12:1,2
     *burden, encumbrance  *err, do wrong, sin