and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, August 25, 2014

An Emotional Time- Part 2

       I’m very proud of myself.  I held it together until that last hug before my son entered the bus, then I quickly turned and the tears began to flow.  Since I wanted to wait until the bus left so that I could be sure nothing would immediately go wrong, I went over to the van parked on the road and waited where I couldn’t be seen.  As the bus pulled away, the sadness was deep.  Tomorrow I will be fine, but for today I am allowing myself to just be me.  Phone calls are ignored and I am allowing the Lord’s comfort in my day.

Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort, 2Cr. 1:3

      Still, the experience was a big teaching lesson (as always).  There were direct words on my part that weren’t accepted well by Nate as he made excuses for himself- but that won’t work when he’s on his own if he is going to do well.  Then at the terminal he sat unaware of (or ignoring) my emotional struggle with his ear plug in listening to music, not even trying to talk (though talking isn’t his thing…)  I wished, just for once, conversation would not be awkward.  As he left me to get on the bus, he didn’t even say thanks for anything we’ve done, like taking care of him or helping with the move, etc.  He just walked away.  Of course, I don’t really know where his mind was…

       We’re a lot like that as Christians imo.  We don’t really accept God’s direct words to us especially if they are negative.  We’d rather make excuses for our behaviour as if that justifies our actions.  Nope.  It doesn’t but we still try.  “Really, it wasn’t our fault!” 

He who covers his sins shall not be blessed; but whoever confesses and leaves them shall have mercy. Pr. 28:13

       As well, we often ignore the Lord or are unaware of what He really wants of us.  Sometimes we wonder why He would ever want to spend time with us.  Often we allow life and distractions to tune us out to God’s voice, or even communication with Him.  Maybe it just seems easier or less work.  Perhaps we are too tired to try…  Who knows but God?  All I know is that the Lord is very patient with us and does not turn away from us when we childishly remain silent as He desires to communicate with us.

Seek Jehovah while He may be found; call on Him while He is near. Is. 55:6
Jehovah is near all those who call on Him, all those who call on Him in truth.  Ps. 145:18

       Then there is the matter of lack of gratitude.  We’re not like that at all, are we?  Yes, that was said tongue in cheek for all of us know the vain repetitions that flow from our mouths more than genuine, heartfelt words.  Just consider ‘grace’ said at mealtime.  We often hear the same words repeated over and over, often carelessly.  Is God pleased with such prayers?  Lately I have been trying to pause and be silent, putting my mind and heart on the Lord- before the words are spoken.  And I find a decided lack of verbal gratitude for all He has done, is doing, and will do in my life.  Enough lessons for the day.  I must go sleep…

always giving thanks for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Ep. 5:20
In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1Th. 5:18

Lord, thank You for being the best, most loving Father of all,
     and for always being here for me!