and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Inductive Bible Reading Examples

       Just reading the Bible because we’re supposed to as Christians, or because it’s the right thing to do, is NOT enough.  I know someone who has read faithfully for probably 60 years but her life shows no transformation from it.  Without reading intentionally, nothing much will be accomplished.  Yesterday I posted about the basic inductive reading method.  Today I give examples from Scriptures on what I would be asking myself and where some of my thinking goes.  May our Lord of Glory use this to help open our eyes to His life giving Word.


 Let’s look at some passages:

And He entering into a boat, His disciples followed Him. And behold, a great tempest arose in the sea, so much so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. And His disciples came to Him and awakened Him, saying, Lord, save us! We perish! And He said to them, Why are you afraid, little-faiths? Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. But the men marveled, saying, What kind of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him! Mt. 8:23-27

Observe-
Jesus is in a boat in a bad storm with His disciples. Jesus is asleep, the disciples are afraid, so they wake up Jesus to save them.  He speaks “__”.  He rebukes the wind and sea- calm comes. Disciples marvel. 

Interpret- what does it mean
Context first.  Check out the surrounding verses and chapters, the book it’s in and in context of the Bible as a whole.  Use Scripture to interpret Scripture.
Cross reference: Similar passages: Mr. 4:36-41; Lk. 8:22-25 verses on faith, trust, concern for others (Php. 2:4), acting in love, rebuking (Lk. 4:38+), etc.
Word Study- check any words not understood for original meaning. (little faith- trusting Christ too little)
Ask: Who, what, where, when, why, and how about the text. Why were the disciples afraid? What options did they have?  How did Jesus respond?

Apply- Ask and think on questions such as:
The disciples follow Jesus into the boat but not into His place of rest. Why not?
Jesus was asleep, the storm did not concern Him, why? (Trust in Father? Faith? Compare to His other behaviours.)
Am I ever like Jesus, calm in the storms of life?  Why?  Why not? Am I lacking in faith or trust?  How can that be changed?
Am I afraid in the storms of life? Who can I count on to save me? Do I blame God for the storm?
Jesus didn’t tell the disciples to stop bothering Him even though He wasn’t worried and was tired. (Showed concern: do I?)
He did something for them- acted out of love.  He uses words and the storm stops.  Am I able to do these things out of love?  Do I even try?  If not, why? How should I change?

Second passage- woman in adultery (Jh. 8:2-11) read if unfamiliar...

Observe-
(shortformed) Jesus in temple teaching. Pharisees bring woman caught in very act of adultery to Him and set her in their midst. They bring up Moses/ Law and ask Jesus what’s to be done (to accuse Him). He writes on ground. They continue to ask. He says ‘He who is without sin cast the first stone’. Jesus bends down, writes on ground again. Hearing, convicted, one by one the crowd leaves oldest to youngest. Woman alone. “Where are accusers?” “Go, sin no more.”

Interpret-
Context- Judging discussed immediately before and after this passage. John shows Jesus as Son of God- God wrote law with His finger- was Jesus alluding to this? 
No similar passages. Lv. 20:10; Dt. 22:22 say both man and woman caught in adultery must be put to death. Only woman brought, yet caught in act thus unfair treatment.
Answer- Who are Pharisees/ scribes? Where was the man in adultery? Why didn’t they bring him? What were they really trying to do? How did Jesus deal with the situation?

Apply-
When catching two in sin (like kids), do I ignore one’s sin and shame the other?  How am I like the Pharisees in my actions?  How am I like the woman?
Why did Jesus start writing on the ground after they asked the question?  Why did He not answer?  Would I have spoken up to justify my own beliefs? Do I seek obedience to law without mercy?
Do I continue to bug Jesus to get MY desires done or do I wait patiently?  How can Jesus remain so calm when they are trying to trap Him?
Am I convicted of my own sin? Do I judge other without judging myself first? Do I consider their sin greater than mine?...
What do I learn from these questions and how do I change in light of them?

       I hope these examples of where my own thinking goes (without all I think) helps you to see how just reading is not enough.  We need to seek out and chew on every morsel to get out of the words all things pertaining to life from the Word of life.

Be blessed.