and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Father’s Day 2014

Always seek one another...
       It took until I was working at 19yrs before my Dad stopped working two fulltime-ish jobs.  As a result, I hardly knew him.  Then I moved to college and still did not have the opportunity to know this man that helped bring me into being.  The few moments I got with him were enough to know he loved me, that he was funny and generally liked people.  In ’88 I was married and seven years later, when I was 28, my Dad passed away.  Sometime in between, my jealousy was stirred when a co-worker of mine told me things about my Dad that I never knew. 

       See, there were only two stories he told me about his life- both in the year before he died, and one precious moment that I remember as a child but most of what I have are vague wisps of memories like fleeing shadows.  Looking at him lying in that casket, the only regrets I had were for lost time that should have been used to get to know each other.  He wasn’t a perfect Dad, but he was mine.

       Regrets should be avoided when possible.  I can’t change the situation with my Dad, but when I was sixteen I was adopted into the family of Jehovah, who became my Father.  The one whom I always thought of as a distant and angry God turned out to be a loving and caring Dad to me.  It was mostly a one sided relationship as I still wanted to be my independent self and just include Him now and then in my life.  I never realized how I was treating Him like my relationship with my earthly Dad.
 
And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. So that you are no longer a slave, but a son… Gl. 4:6,7
you have received the Spirit of adoption by which we cry, Abba, Father! Rm. 8:15
Behold what manner of love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God… 1Jh. 3:1

       There was a lot of backsliding in the first couple of decades; months of time that I ignored the Lord, and yet He took me back when I’d return to Him after realizing my foolishness.  As I look back, I was still fitting Him into bits and pieces of my life, but was never fully surrendered.  Eventually I realized how my Father God always wanted to be involved in all my life, every day, every hour, being with me, sharing my life, loving me…

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind… Lk.. 10:27  (Notice the word ALL)

Father and daughter hanging out.
       My regrets are now the time I lost in getting to know my heavenly Father, and even though I recognize all my past helped bring me to this great place I am now, I sometimes wonder how much better I would know Him if I hadn’t wasted all that time.  That was time I lost because of ME.  So I don’t want to do that any more.  I refuse to live without Him.  Nothing and no one is as important to me as my Lord, my Father.  Finally, living life with Him without regrets.  And that life with Him is the most amazing, exciting, crazy, fun, joyful, peaceful, awesome, inspiring- abundant life I have ever experienced.

one thing I do, forgetting the things behind and reaching forward to the things before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Php. 3:13,14

To You my True, Everlasting Father,
I thank You for never giving up on me.
I am grateful You graciously accepted me home every time I strayed.
                                                                             ...so very grateful!
And it’s not for what You can do for me, but for who You are that I love You now 
                                  more than ever before.

Happy Father’s Day!!!