and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Blessing or a Curse


       I’m guessing that given a choice, most of us would choose to be blessed as opposed to cursed.  The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of curses is an old voodoo witch (like in the movies) calling up a curse for someone with whom she is angry.  Biblically, most of us think of the verse about the tongue when we think of blessing or cursing, “Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.(Jm. 3:10)  Also, we remember how the Jews, upon entering the Promised Land, were commanded to bless (for obedience) and curse (for disobedience) the people. (Dt. 27:12,13; ch. 28 also 11:26-28)  Remember- blessings came from obedience to God’s laws and curses on the disobedient.

       There are some other passages that speak about when God blesses or curses in conjunction with Abraham and his descendants- namely the Jews, or Israel.  Romans 11 shows that God has not given up on His people yet.  Sometimes I think we forget about the Jews, but great blessings lie with those who bless Israel.  “For so says Jehovah of Hosts: He has sent me after glory, to the nations who stripped you; for he who touches you touches the pupil of His eye.” (Zc. 2:8)

And I will bless those that bless you and curse the one who curses you. And in you shall all families of the earth be blessed. Gn. 12:3  (Isaac passes on to Jacob Gn. 27:29)
(Balaam speaks over Israel for God) …Blessed is he who blesses you, and cursed is he who curses you. Nm. 24:9
(Joel 2 speaks of end times) For, behold, in those days and in that time, when I will bring again the exiles of Judah and Jerusalem, I will also gather all nations and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat. And I will fight with them there for My people and for My inheritance Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and divided My land. Jl. 3:1,2

       One day God will return His people to Israel and nations that go to war against her will receive God’s judgment.  (That would be those who scatter the Jews and divide their land)  Jehovah God gave them that land as a possession (Gn. 12:7; 17:5-8; 35:12) and will ensure they have all He wanted them to have again and at the same time He will restore their relationship with Him*.  If we want His blessing, we must bless Israel by whatever means we are able, but especially by prayer support.  And we need to stand up for them as a people and a nation.

       Some people online pair up natural disasters with specific governmental pressure on Israel to give up land.  True or not, it is worth thinking about.  God’s Word will not return void (Is. 55:11) and if He says there are blessings and curses tied to the way we treat Israel, then I think we need to seriously consider our stand on the issue.  I, for one, want to live within God’s blessing.

May God continue to bless Israel and give her government wisdom in all decisions.



*Ez. 36:26-28; 37:12-14; Jr. 31:33; Rm. 11:26,27